Arrows

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Arrows

Postby Calisar on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:21 am

The ache tomorrow was going to be spectacular.

Hefting the recurve bow again Cal sighted along the arrow shaft, a dull pain flashing between her shoulderblades already from the repetitive practice.

The range was busy, deft Draenei archers striking bullseyes around her, calling out high scores, competing in friendly battles. She squinted with resignation at her own target, embarrassingly blemish free, so few arrows finding their mark.

It was calming though, even if her muscles were starting to creak and scream. The ritual of notching each arrow, drawing the string back, exhaling slowly for the steady aim. There was a beautiful stillness to it reminiscent of her favoured meditation by candlelight.

No magic here, no trace of Shadow or Elune's grace involved. Nothing, confusing...

Five arrows remained in the quiver. Five moments of peace within which she could marshal her thoughts together.

Cal plucked up the first arrow, tracing her thumb slowly across the stiff white feather fletching.

This bow had been a gift, unwrapped at the end of a long drinking session, the night before Aariam's promotion was to be announced. Nightborne had fizzed with plans and schemes, dreams for how she wanted to hone the Sentinels into a force to be reckoned with once more.

The insignia of the Order was etched into the handle, purple leather straps wound intricately around the elegant arms. It was a simple, beautifully light weapon. They had been pretty drunk by that point of the evening, honesty amplified by liquor, talking til the brandy bottle was nearly empty and the tavern swayed around them.

"You said it was your weapon, before you studied as a priestess?" the Commander-to-be had grinned broadly, filling both their glasses "never too late to try again sister?" So unsubtle, but Cal had to chuckle, grateful for the faith Aariam was showing in her.

Captain hm? She smirked to herself thoughtfully.

Was that true though, was it really never too late to change? Cal squinted at the distant target in the fading dusk light, breathing out slowly to aim.

The river of Elune's grace had dried and withered within her long ago. Replaced by the intoxicating assurance of Shadow. To manipulate and read, to master and control, an utterly seductive and addictive magic. But it was toxic, just look at the damage wrought to Soriah, at the after effects each time of casting it. And... a seed of worry... what chance would a child have in the body of a mother reeking of such craft?

The arrow fell short of the target, smoothly burying itself deep into the ground. Cal flicked an embarrassed glance left, cheeks glowing, hoping the Rangari were not mocking her woeful progress as she notched the second clumsily into position.

"I know you hate me.. even the ground I walk upon"

Salirien's expression of genuine kind concern flickered into view.

"But.. I just wanted you to know I'm here to help, if you need someone to pray with?"

Her faith shone out with a lighthouse beam, incandescent and inspiring. Everyone saw and admired her for it. A true priestess, hair pale as the moon, ever a study book at her side.

Pray... Cal grimaced darkly, sighting along the arrow as she exhaled slowly. My family would have loved her, preferred her perhaps, I never did choose the priesthood, they chose it for me.

Hate... is the wrong word, try envy, regret, irritation, exasperation perhaps... but this is not hatred. That is reserved for one other, and it sears vivid even at the mention of his name.

Salirien might be able to help stop the voices though, if only she knew about them?

"Tssk... I can handle that problem alone" Cal chided herself under her breath, releasing the string too quickly.

The second arrow flew far, clipping the edge of the target to cartwheel onto the grass. With a determined frown Cal pulled the third arrow into place.

Soriah was sitting on the bed, the thrum of muffled tavern chatter and music drifting up from the floor below. She seemed calm, collected, peering steadily at Cal across the vast expanse of atmosphere now ever felt between them since the attack on Soriah's mind.

"Don't run, not now" Cal had tried to sound reassuring, lingering near the doorway not wanting to intrude too long.

The guards of the Lightbringer garrison were under orders to watch this fugitive Kaldorei from afar, Soriah had no idea that she was as good a prisoner already here. "This is your chance to rejoin, to make amends. Confess everything... lay your penitence on thick if you have to. Tell them what they need to hear from you"

Soriah had calmly looked at her, "whatever happens to me now, whatever punishment they serve to me. It will be on your head"

The gentlest of threats.

With a shiver of foreboding, Cal aimed slightly left. A cool breeze trembled across the firing range. Compensate for it... That's what you need to do yes? Aim into the wind as if to miss the target. Trust the arrow to swerve to the mark. She breathed out slowly, fired and watched as the arrow thunked into the target. A respectable hit. She punched the air discreetly, catching a flicker of an encouraging smile from a tall Draenei nearby.

Aerandyr's brief farewell echoed in her mind as she notched up the fourth arrow. Not entirely unexpected, but still it saddened her to see his strong opinions lead him to walk from the Order.

He was so... frustrating, his accurate judgment overshadowed by his pride and impatience. The Order needed him, even if he did not realise it.

Cal blew out a slow steadying breath, muscles twanging as she drew the bow back, held it steady and aimed.

He had wanted to give up his weapons too, speaking so wistfully of turning his back on bloodshed. But now his fool impatience and anger have dragged him to the front, his private hope perhaps in tatters for now.

The arrow shot over the target, too high. Clattering amongst the trees at the far edge of the range, probably lost to her forever.

She dragged a sleeve across her brow with a weary sigh, picking up the final arrow.

There was someone she needed to find, to fetch from home, and now it felt right to think on his potential as more than just a pet.

Bael. Terror of the Crescent Inn kitchens, shredder of a thousand silk slippers. Bed warming, ear scratching, moonkin chaser. I wonder if he has grown fat and lazy by the tavern fireplace in all this time? Perhaps he has grown lean and large, strong enough serve the Order?

The black worg pup bounced into her mind's eye, brilliant eyes peering imploringly into hers, chewed slipper clenched in his teeth like a prize.

Larissa will have looked after him well, I wonder if he even remembers me?

I wonder... If he might help me now, as I try to turn my back on magic?

He'll help me find my arrows at least, Cal smirked, hooking the bow over her shoulder, trudging towards the target to fill her quiver again for another round of practice.
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Priest + Druid

Re: Arrows

Postby Aariam on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Soriah's got another thing coming. ;)

Absolutely lovely, and even though some parts certainly are sad, it does seem like there is a glimmer of hope. :D
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Postby Soriah on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 am

Always happy to see more of your writing, Cali. :) Superb, as always. Keep it up.
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah
Class: Hunter

Postby Salirien on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:21 pm

It's so interesting to see things through Cal's eyes. Keep 'em coming, you are amazingly talented! :)
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Class: Priestess

Postby Anhagath on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:52 pm

*gasp*

Shocking, unexpected, and really cool to read ^^ Wondering who she hates so badly, but the rest is fascinating. Shame I'm missing this "in person," but thank you for sharing it here! :D
"My favorite color is fire."
Anhagath

Character: Anhagath
Class: Mage

Postby Calisar on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:32 pm

Thank you for the feedback. This is a snippet where not very much happens really ^^

Does a working garrison ever really sleep?

Cal brushed her hand against the misted window pane of their private room, peering down to the cold blustery streets below. Guards walked their nightly round, billowing cloaks gathered tightly to their bodies, flaming torches in hand. Mobile pools of reassuring warmth and light. Above them the occasional gryphon would ghost between the buildings. Wings stretched, feathers reflecting gold by the light of the torches, before they would soar on silently into the darkness.

She tilted her head to one side, the headache a low throb to her temple like an ever tightening band of iron. Too restless for sleep she carefully tipped a waterskin into the kettle, listening, stretching out her senses to try and distract herself.

The blue flags of the Alliance snapped in the chill wind that howled through the narrow streets. The proud Lion with it's defiant snarl dancing from each building. A predator totem for a people that mostly ride herd animals and who liked their meat docile and farmed? Cal smirked to herself, flicking a glance upwards. From the nearby stables she could hear the whinny of a horse, shrieking out into the night.

The velvet black was yet to bleed from the sky, only a faint trace of silvery light crept on the horizon, promising a bitter frosty morning to come. Foreign constellations glittered above, they seemed closer, sharper, brought into focus by the cold air. I'll be home soon, Cal wistfully thought of Darkshore, even if it is just for a short while...

It had grown quiet at last, off duty soldiers spilling out from the warmth and light of the tavern, staggering reluctantly back to their barracks. Cal grinned at their singing, stepping away from the window. Low bumps and murmurs drifted up from downstairs. The Innkeeper was counting his take, chatting softly to the barstaff as they lifted the chairs onto each rough table so they could sweep and mop the floor.

The low creak of floorboards throughout the building groaned like the belly of a seafaring ship. Glassware clinked amongst the scrape of a few bar stools. Sounds of a private drink at last for the staff before their day would start again.

The Innkeeper was content, happy even, his thoughts shimmering and golden. "so many travellers coming through this 'ere garrison, they tip damn well for a taste of home eh!" So easy to read, she had not meant to but it was as if the human had spoken it aloud to her ear...

Cal shook her head, rubbing he heel of her hand comfortingly against her temple, returning her attention back to their room. She rolled a few precious sprigs of dreaming glory between her palms, casting them into the bubbling water, adding a dash of crushed prayerblossom. A private tonic of her own invention to dull and soothe her mind. Something to help stop her hearing such things.

I'll bring bushels of these herbs with me when I come back, perhaps some seedlings too. No doubt lurked about returning, this was where the Order served, so this is where she would speed back to.

The steam slowly bloomed outwards, a sweet aroma drifting across the room from the brew. Cal took a few deep breaths, closing her eyes as she stretched out with a wide yawn. Her back cracked satisfyingly and she glanced sidelong to the plate armour resting nearby on the bench.

First time I have owned a six pack like -that- she chuckled to herself, arching a brow at the engraved muscles on the metal chest-piece.

What -exactly- was Mael thinking when he crafted it? Cal peered across to him where he slept, sprawled comfortably amongst the blankets.

She padded over to the bench, her dressing gown rustling with each step, scooping up the small tin of armour polish. Unscrewing the lid she inhaled with a slow smile.

The peculiar tang of the polish always reminded her vividly of Stormwind. Of her time living at the Lightbringer headquarters a few years back. Sleeping on the floor when she had needed refuge, curled on the bearskin rug as her wounds had healed. When we're married that rug'll be the first bloody thing to go, it always did look to me like the Lightbringers had skinned a druid.

Would there be time to visit that city too?

The kettle was boiling, the lid beginning to clatter up and down with the bubbling water. She danced back across the room to lift it from the stove, pouring out a generous mug of medicinal tea.

Cradling both hands around the cup she held it close to her chest, enjoying the heat and healing aroma from the herbs. Sitting back by the window she peered at her bags, already packed and ready to go.

There was just one last project to be completed.

Resting the tea to one side Cal plucked up her needle and thread, critically peering at the bundle of cloth and stuffing. She had finished stitching the chubby little torso and legs the night before. She had even poked a squeaky leather bladder into the stuffing for fun.

Patiently, by the red light of the stove and between of sips of soothing tea, she added a pair of broad crooked ears, a stub of a trunk and lastly a pair of glossy button eyes.

Tilting the fuzzy cloth animal around she smiled secretly, admiring her handiwork. Peering into the chunky little Elekk's innocent face she imagined Bael's reaction.

You will save me many a mangled shoe... I hope.
Calisar

Postby Reljen on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:01 am

Where is the Like button?

No but really, a really enjoyable read. It's nice to follow the character progression and the thoughts that go on their mind from the side. Will await to see what is next to come.
Reljen

Character: Reljen
Class: Druid

Postby Soriah on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:09 am

Nothing happens.

And you know what? I don't care. Cos your writing is always such a pleasure to read! :) Thanks for the lastest, Cali. :)
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah
Class: Hunter

Postby Calisar on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:53 pm

(Another wee snippet, history and hint of an event or two to come (campaign is too big a word) ^^)

The roots were tangled, grown together over the years into a knotted tapestry across the winding forest road. Ready to trip the unwary traveller, snagging and snatching at every low hanging cloak. Cal stepped carefully, she knew this secret path and its twisting trickery of old.

Many a time I wandered this way as a child, a crown of twigs in my hair, pretending to be a druid.

She smirked, peering for Bael. He had vanished amongst the trees yet again. His black coat blending seamlessly into the shadows. He never ventured too far though, always carefully within range to hear and see her dawdling progress. He trotted out ahead, sniffing around a broken stump, cocking a leg to mark it with his own scent before bounding back into the darkness.

Cal swished an arrow around as she strolled after him, beating back the stray damp ferns and low hanging branches, content to be in her homeland again even if just for a short while.

Watching him bounce through the bushes she appreciated how well her friend had looked after him, truly caring for him. Larissa had been sad to see the large worg leave the Crescent Inn, he'd been immensely useful as security. Keeping the peace just with his presence, stretched out impressively by the fire as rangers and revellers passed through the old tavern. He'd grown remarkably heavy and strong, almost knocking Cal clean over when they had been reunited. His broad paws resting on her shoulders, tail wagging, his rasping tongue striking across her throat and face relentlessly.

He loped back onto the path again, sitting on his haunches, tongue lolling nonchalantly with what could only be described as a wolfish grin. As if he were amused by her slow pace. She chuckled, muttering a low "tsssk, alright already!" with mock annoyance as she picked her way along the path towards him.

On their right, glimpsed through the mist crowned pines, lay the silver coastline of Darkshore; pale sister to Ashenvale. A fresh tang of sea salt drifted on the breeze between the trees whilst seagulls cried out as they circled far overhead.

Out there, on the far seaward horizon, would be the dominating twisted hulk of the great tree. The vast trunk and branches looming through the low veil of cloud. High above perched the glittering city lights of Darnassus, competing with the few evening stars visible between the cloud breaks.

Draenor has a beauty to it, especially at night, but it has nothing compared to this place...

Cal smiled, walking on, wrapped up in her thick cloak and thoughts. The purple decorated bow hung idly over one shoulder. Her plate armour exchanged tonight for the layered comfort of fine grey silk beneath soft black wool. She knocked back her hood, dragging a hand through her hair, brushing it aside to squint towards the wrecked landscape ahead.

Auberdine... No need to visit those old ghosts, no need to stir that past up again. Time moves on and people -can- change...

Turning aside from the winding path she headed south instead, away from the cracked sundered bay that held so many dark memories and further into the deep solemn forest.

Bael bounced back to her side with an easy loping gait, weaving around her steps. An unspeakable chunk of tangled flesh and fur hanging from his powerful jaw. What had possibly once been a hare he now offered to his pack leader in friendly tribute. Cal waved a dismissive hand to him, smiling at the soft "hrrrl" whine in his throat that seemed to imply she was missing a treat, before the flesh was snapped down in a couple of eager crunching bites.

He had been so frightened in that small cage as a tiny pup, barely weaned, eyes blinking at the strange lights. The clamour of the Stormwind auction house a confusion all around him. He had shivered, curling up against the bars furthest from the noise, tail tucked between his legs, keeping low and quiet, hoping not to be seen. Missing the warmth of his litter mates, the reassurance of his mother.

Alliance soldiers had stormed the remote horde camp he had been born to, the large grey worg had fought ferociously alongside the orcs. It was only afterwards they had discovered the litter and understood her desperation.

The path broadened, merging with a much larger road. Cal hesitated, glancing in both directions before stepping out.

A worg, what would a kaldorei priestess ever do with such an unsuitable companion? Cal rolled back a white sleeve, ducking down to peer into the cage, feeling a surge of sympathy for the little lost soul, fur as dark as her hair. She smiled as the pup warily lifted its fuzzy head, "This city confuses me too" she whispered reassuringly, resting her hand against the bars.

She'd only been in this awful smelling city a few weeks, her possessions already stolen and a fading bruise on her cheek thanks to her naivety. "Perhaps... you could use a friend too hm?" She chuckled softly as his small pink tongue licked at her palm followed by a small whuffling whine of cautious greeting.

Bael leapt past her with a whine of alarm, tail up and ears perked, attention suddenly fixed to the southwest. An aggressive stance, hackles raised and muscles tense, a low formidable growl rumbling in his throat.

Without hesitation Cal swung herself from the road, ducking for cover behind a broad trunk. Signalling for Bael to crouch beside her as she held still, trying to meld with the dappled shadow. Fumbling for her bow she could hear the soft thud of paws striking the ground at speed. An orc outrider was approaching fast, kicking his mount to a fresh burst of speed. Soon he would be upon them.

No-one is here, no-one would know if you were to use just a little touch of magic...

Grimacing she notched an arrow into place, tilting her head to ignore the whispers of temptation.

No need for bloodshed... you could spur his mount to run in terror, carrying him away with it...

Bael hunkered down next to her, fur bristling, placing himself between his mistress and the road, ready to face down this rapidly approaching threat.

...You could even make him turn his weapon upon himself. One less orc to worry about, who would possibly mind that hm?... You know it's possible.

"Hold... hold..." Cal whispered for both their benefit.

The orc was close, his mount slowing, catching their scent on the breeze. With a low curse he wheeled around, scanning the roadside. His worg, a pale female the colour of sawdust, was sniffing the air and growling warily. It could sense the large male worg closeby... somewhere.

The bow trembled as she pulled it back, concentrating, fixing him in her sights, she caught a glimpse of his eyes.

Unbidden she could feel an overwhelming lurch of fear... this orc was fleeing from something, something so bad it was driving him to ride through the deep Kaldorei forests alone.

Looking closer she could see the exhaustion in the worg's stance, the flecks of foam gathering at the corners of its mouth. The bow tilted down in her hands, arrow unfired as she watched the outrider circle once more, uneasy, staring wildly at the shadows pressing in on both sides of the road his mind a mess of paranoia.

With a guttural exclamation he kicked the flanks of his exhausted mount to streak north once more.

"Some bloody huntress I am hm?" Cal grimaced, swearing at herself, crawling eventually from the shade to peer up the now empty road.

She furrowed her brow, "Any decent Sentinel would have shot him hm?" Bael peered at her questioningly, crouching next to her by the roadside. Offering just a lick of reassurance up the side of the face.

"urrgh" Cal smirked, wiping a sleeve across her cheek, resisting the urge to gag on his breath. Throwing her arms around his neck in gratitude before peering at the empty road once more..

At least she hadn't followed her impulse to cast magic, as tempting as it had been, she had resisted... this time at least.

"One day at a time hm?" she ruffled his mane, hooking the unused bow back over her shoulder, turning back to the safety of the thin secret path.
Calisar

Postby Aariam on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Oh damn, that was really tense. The outrider was once sort of it, but what kept me chewing on my nails was whether Cali would resist the urge or not. Really well written, and Cali can report back to Aariam for a sisterly hug!

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Salirien on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:31 am

So well written, Cal, as always! Amazing build up and language. I could read your stuff for days on end <3
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Calisar on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:24 pm

(thanks guys <3 ^^)

The arrow twirled slowly between her fingers. The wicked sharp metal point spinning into view, the elegant white feather fletching swerving after it... the wicked sharp point... the neat white feathers... the hard point, the white softness... point, white, point, white... around and around they chased.

Cal leant back against the remote tree, lifting her gaze to peer across the tranquil lake of Darnassus, to the gleaming marble and stone temple in the far distance. The broad dome reflecting beautifully in the still water. Her hand flexed around the arrow stopping the spin dead.

Salirien had been promoted tonight within the Order, to general acclaim and pleasure. The demure priestess holding herself with dignity, seemingly respectful of the council and the trust and honour they were bestowing upon her.

Were you pleased for her? Cal frowned, pondering her mixed reactions to the scene. You said it yourself to Aariam, that the Council needed mixing up a little. A woman of the cloth would do well to balance out all those military minds.

The arrow resumed its spin...

But then afterwards, the very -first- duty she seemed to share with the council, was staging that little intervention and punishment.

Tssk...

Cal watched the arrow point as it arced around slowly, catching the moonlight on it's razor edge.

She grimaced, recalling the united front of Salirien, Kathene and Aariam ranged before her after the guild meeting. The disappointment of the Keeper, the worry of the Commander, the wariness of the Priestess. She could hear fragments of the private thoughts left unsaid when they had looked at her.

They all now knew what she had done to escape the horde camp, and they were not going to ignore it. More than that, they knew she had given into the temptation of playing with the mind of the hostage being questioned by the Commander. That was the step too far...

The voices were louder than ever right now, but then using her magic always left her mind frayed, a little more cracked apart. But she had done what was necessary in that situation, they had survived no?

Salirien would oversee her cleansing of any taint, and there would be a series of lectures.

Lectures... She gritted her teeth a little at the embarrassment of being forced to sit through such lessons. But, there -are- worse punishments to be had. Cal tilted her head to one side, thinking of Soriah's lonely cell down in the dens beneath where she was sitting.

It turned her mind to the last punishment. The cleverest of all. That wily bloody fox of a Keeper.

"You'll be allowed to speak in Soriah's defence, but only if you are free of taint. Only if you have not repeated yourself".

Cleverly done...

The arrow snapped in her hand, Cal blinked, peering at the shards. Tossing both ends with frustration into the lake to sink silently out of sight.
Calisar

Postby Aariam on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:12 pm

Oh dear, is Sali getting the blame for staging it..? Whew. ;)

Always interesting reading about Calisar's thoughts, seeing how she progresses through all of this. :D

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Salirien on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:27 pm

Aariam was the one suiting for punishment, not Sali! I'm innocent! xD

Lovely read though, as always ^^ Can't wait to school you <3
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Calisar on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:37 pm

Down, down and down again. Footsteps echo on the hard earthen path. Down each step takes her, stumbling deeper into the Darnassus dens.

Past torches that flare warm and bright in the darkness. Past Sentinel guards that watch her strange lurching gait warily. Past the guardroom, the armory, the cell doors, the dense earthen walls riddled through with twisted roots strong as iron.

Heavier footsteps sound behind, each one ringing with the gentle clink of plate armour. They have followed her all the way here from the battlefield in Ashenvale. But not once has she turned to look, or to speak. Not once has she dared to catch his eye.

Snatching a key from the wall she swings a door open like a drunkard, slipping inside to lock it before the other footsteps can catch up. A heavy cold metal key, she flips it over and over in her hand, something real to focus on. Hefting the solid weight she lashes her arm out. Thrown far, it skitters away, lost to the dark recesses of the simple cell.

The world tilts, rushing up at a strange angle. The earthen floor feels gritty and hard against her cheek. Slowly cold fingers weave and coil through her hair to cradle her head.

Fragments of memories replay. The Commander's pained grimace, the monks fist, the claws of the saber slashing through the air. The warband being torn apart by Ancients, the worg riders sweeping forwards under that green banner.

The sensation of floating above the ground in a swirling mist of shadow magic, someone amused, encouraging her on.

A mistake to have gone tonight, to have been arrogant enough to have ignore Aariam's command to stay clear of the battle against the Red Wolf.

Her hand snakes out, clawing a symbol into the earth... Triangles linked together.

Words... Angry ones. Someone is talking to her through the bars. Growing exasperated. Someone is testing the strength of the door.

A gentle seductive voice overtakes every other sound. Kind and sweet, so easy to trust. Whispering truths and reassurance. Repeating snatches of the silent conversation they had shared on the battlefield.

Cal lifts her head, listening...

She looks down to her hand eventually, at the dark blotched skin on her palm that begins to glow purple and black. Her other hand grips tightly around the wrist, as if to stop a sudden wildfire spread of this magic.

Not here... Not now... Not again... Her breath comes ragged, features twisted in the agony of trying to resist.

"They are just puppets to ones like us... Be my captain and I'll show you"

Elune help me...
Calisar

Next

Return to ∞ The Ancient of Lore ∞