Arrows

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Re: Arrows

Postby Aariam on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Ah, poor Cali, and what a conclusion! -Now- what will happen? ;)
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Postby Seiya on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Great read, very well written hun.

I do love the conflict in Cali, you play it so well
Seiya Shadowfury
Jaideth Frostborne
Seiya

Character: Seiya
Class: Mage

Postby Salirien on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:24 am

Oh. My. Goddess! You're writing gives me life, but what else is new ^^ *steals your stick of moar and prods like a madman*
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Class: Priestess

Postby Soriah on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Screw the stick or MOAR, we need a giant log of MOAR! :D Great writing dear. Poor Calisar. Hm, perhaps Soriah and Calisar could help each other?
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Hunter

Postby Maelmoor on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:46 pm

"All the time in Draenor he had longed home, the mere thought had lifted his spirit during the difficult times in the alien world. He remembered when they had spoken about returning home, already before they even entered the portal, it was something to look forward to..

..now he longed back to Draenor, despite the hardship of war, with the pain and death that came with it, despite being so far from home in a such a strange place, surrounded by enemies. Yet they had been free, not from duties but once those were dealt with there was this sense of freedom, it was hard to explain he thought.

Work and responsibility had been waiting for him in Stormwind, now he could handle that even it was a heavy burden to carry, at least he could spend some time with Cal, far away from Stormwind. But nothing seems to go as planned, even if you plan it well, as soon as they had returned home the shadow took a grip of her, using her as a tool, twisting and causing pain. It seemed as all the progress they had made in Draenor was swept away..

His body ached from the battle the previous day, his wound from Kathenes blade reminded him of the dangers that the shadow brought, when friends turn into enemies, not of their free will but of the will of evil..he looked into the cell, it seemed she was asleep, now when the morning came, when the light painted the world in colours she could sleep or so it seemed at least. He shifted position, trying to be silent, still sitting in the armour. Glancing at her face he thought how strong she was, yet so fragile.

Maybe his reaction yesterday had been too strong, maybe he could have stopped her from coming? He had try to explain, with the powers the Red Wolf was using how dangerous it would be for her. Just as little as fire can be fought with fire, shadow couldn’t be fought with shadow, instead it would grow in strength, drawn to each other’s as the blades of two warriors in a duel, clashing together. It wasn’t easy, she wanted to be with him, be with the Order, her friends, her family, she wanted to help..not stay behind, helpless.

Yet she had given them the charms, that was help enough, fighting wasn’t the only help one could provide with, to look at the greater picture he always said. She had not said a word since they returned from Ashenvale, not one single word, she had refused his help, her empty eyes guiding her down into the cell, into the darkness. He wanted the change to come from within her, that was the best way to do it but it seemed she wasn’t strong enough, they would continue to run in circles, he had to try something else.

There was another way, a more dangerous way, he remember having read about it many years ago but he had never tried it, never dared, she wouldn’t agree to it but he started to run out of options, something had to be done and soon.

He picked up the silver locket, gently touching it before giving it a kiss, then he looked into the dark cell. Even the ancient had asked him to try and help her, he would do so with all his heart, to whatever end.."
Maelmoor
The Holy Lightbringers Representative
The Holy Lightbringers Representative

Character: Maelmoor
Class: Paladin

Postby Draerion on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:14 am

The...stuffed...elekk....
Touched me so deeply...
I want one too!

Ahem...jokes aside, I enjoyed the various part very much. Nicely written, thumbs up~
The time is not of any importance or consistence. Only the Life is important. You are alive. So live.
Draerion

Character: Draerion
Class: Druid

Postby Thondalar on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Poor Cali and Mael Q_Q Shadow can be so cruel!
Thondalar
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Character: Thondalar

Postby Calisar on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:18 pm

Yay Mael, that's awesome :D wondering what he has up his shiny gold sleeves now! ;) thanks for the feedback guys, really encouraging

The gnarled root feels good in her hand, it digs into the cell wall like a crude blade, carving three rough interlocked triangles.

There's a blanket in here, token comfort to those that have earned a place in the dens. But it's warm, it'll do. Wrapping it around her body she sits in the centre of the cell, peering at the mark she has made.

With no guiding sun or moon in sight, time seems to drift aimlessly down here, losing all meaning, getting lost amongst the dark winding paths of this vast jail. Hours stretch by without notice, when she finally stirs again her legs ache, joints creaking with unexpected stiffness.

A thought pierces through the fog. I can find her, if she lives. I could cast a net and wait.. watching undisturbed... I could trace her in my own way... In here where I am safe, and others are safe from me.

Hefting the sharp splinter of root still in her fist, she drags it over the wall, scoring deeply into the hard earth. Adding a straight line here, a sinuous curve there. The lines gather and burst apart as she draws them, tangling across the walls like a mad spiders web.

She stretches up on toe-tip, scarring the wall as high as she can reach. Then crouching she shuffles, all grace forgotten, crawling to scrape low into the wall, some marks even spilling out across the floor.

Mud ruins her embroidered sleeves, dirt gathers on her knees, feet and hands, a smear brushes across her cheek. She looks nothing like the ambassador she used to be. Hair tangled and eyes distant, she looks more like a beggar. One of the sunken and forgotten on the streets of Stormwind. One that the traders and shoppers pretend not to see as they pass on by.

She sits still again at last, root in her fist, staring up at the complex network of symbols and scratches, pleased. A smile ghosts briefly on her lips before fading.

A clink of a tray distracts, two visitors linger outside by the bars. Aariam and Seiya bringing a gift of food and a boiled kettle for tea.

Tea... Her heart stirs at the prospect of it. A moment of lucidity as she cradles the hot cup between her filthy hands.

She can't look at the commander, unable to meet her eyes, not after torturing her so on the battlefield. Words must have been shared though. She looks confused out from the bars at their suddenly retreating backs. Time fractures, moments seem to be missing from her memory. Did they make their excuses and leave too disgusted to stay, did I ask them to? She frowns shaking her head. Did I make them?

Turning back to the carvings on the wall she blinks. Magic flickers and ebbs along the lines. Flaring briefly here and there in brilliant spots tinged with an unsettling purple white glow. Elsewhere the lines pool and suck at the faint light available in the cell. Drawing the light into itself, patches of absolute darkness.

Did I do this?

She curls within her blanket again, watching the light and darkness ebb and flow across her lines. It plays and dances before her, beautiful in its way, she watches transfixed.

In the next cell over, someone stirs, they speak. Soriah the murderer. Soriah the mad. Cal shakes her head. No.. She is innocent, you were going to speak in her defence remember? Something about a trial... It was important to you once...

She almost laughs at the situation... Who's going to listen to your testimony now hm? Tssk...

Time drifts again, the tray of tea and food outside her cell door grows cold and stale.

All the while the lines flicker and glow, a strange private light show. Curled within her blanket she watches patiently, her thoughts dancing on the edge of a precipice...

What are the stars without the darkness they hang against? Who would notice their beauty? What is the bright scorching daylight without the peaceful rest of the dark night? The tide flows in, but it must always ebb out again. New life springs forth into the world constantly, but then it must also flicker out of existence, forming the foundation for what is to follow. Imagine the horror if this pattern failed? As natural as breathing, as inevitable as the falling of leaves in autumn. This is the nature of -true- balance. Even Elune turns her face away. Shadow is just a hollow word, a name creatures have hung upon something vast and ancient. A force as fundamental as life, twin sister to it, one unable to exist without the other.

Before the light, there must have been nothing. This is not to be feared, it is to be acknowledged, accepted... respected. Only then can we truly be at peace...

She sighs, her eyes unfocused as the thoughts spiral around her.

After all... To nothing we will all eventually return, even us kaldorei... in the end.

The wall flares brightly, it takes her a moment to blink, realise and to note the result. As the dancing lights fade and the carvings melt to form a flat wall once more, she pulls the blanket over herself. Time finally catching her in its arms, dragging her into a welcome oblivious sleep.
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Class: Priest + Druid

Postby Anhagath on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:35 pm

I love it. I wish I was here to speak to Calisar in the dens. For once I feel bad for her x_x Your writing is beautiful and enchanting, as always.
Anhagath

Character: Anhagath
Class: Mage

Postby Calisar on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Down in the dens there's the echo of swearing and soft laughter.

The sentinel guardroom is well-lit by candlelight. Glaives hang all around, gleaming and sharp on the walls. Clusters of heavy keys dangle from the rail near the door. There are cots for those sleeping off shift, a couple of neatly ordered tables. Plenty of paperwork and polish with which to pass the time.

Captain Tamni Silverswift chuckles, rocking her chair back on two legs, a brief smile of victory flashes across her features. She scoops up the beautifully carved dice, rolling them between her hands. Another fine win...

Valania the latest raw recruit mutters, pushing her last silver coins across the table with a sigh of defeat. "Again? You should be locked up for theft" There's an edge of awe in her voice that reminds the Captain of herself as a younger woman.

Tamni smirks, shaking her head, looking instead around the guardroom. To her team, her sisters that guard the peace down here in the dark.

Patrolling the dens could be perceived as a dull service to some perhaps, but for her it's an honour, a role to have pride in. Ever carefully treading the line between punishment and compassion for those imprisoned, she has earned a reputation over the years as a fair but strict officer.

The prisoners could endure here for hundreds or perhaps thousands of years if their crime is great enough. Good behaviour and redemption were to be encouraged, escape plots and disruption however would be stamped out swiftly.

She nods a greeting to a trio of sisters as they return from their round of the cells. Shifting easily into a formal mode of speech.

"Anything to report?"

"No Ma'am.. all's quiet"

"Very good, what about our 'guest?'"

They shake their heads and shrug "no change". They shift awkwardly, wanting another to ask the question that all want answered. One lifts her chin, and hesitantly gathers her nerve.

"Ma'am... we were wondering. What are we going to do with her?"

Tamni peers along the line and arches a brow "Do?"

They nod slowly as one.

The captain leans forward, taking her time to consider her response "What would you propose we do?"

The sentinels shift under scrutiny and shrug.

Tamni nods, "exactly... the Order are aware of the situation, so for now we just give it time."

"And her visitor?"

"Has the human caused any problems so far?"

The sentinels shake their heads, all having encountered him, the courteous paladin that frequently made the long walk down to the cells.

"You are checking what he is bringing in yes?"

"Yes ma'am, books, blankets... Lots of candles. All seems innocent enough"

"Very well, let him continue. He might encourage her out given time"

"But... ma'am, what about the rumour... Of her communing with shadow?"

Tamni leans forward and steeples her fingers together, her expression more severe. "Then she is certainly in the best place".

They nod, bowing briefly waiting to be dismissed.

A large black shape streaks suddenly past the door, a blurred flash of claw and fang. The guards turn as one in alarm as Tamni leaps up, knocking her chair back, shouting for them to follow.

Down the winding path they charge, glaives at the ready. Skidding around a corner, towards the cell of the guest they were just discussing. Then they hear a truly terrifying noise...

...A wheezy flatulent squeak.

A large dark shape is sat by the cell of the door, having nudged a tattered Elekk plushie toy through the bars.

It sits back on his haunches, tongue lolling to one side and slowly starts to wag his tail, peering with bright curious eyes at the ones that have chased him down here.

Tamni looks slowly from the worg, to the fluffy tattererd toy, to the prisoner... and then back again. Watching as the inhabitant of the cell picks up the stitched bundle and gives it a tentative squeeze. Was that a hint of a smile?

The Captain arches a brow, nodding briskly to the sentinels.

"At ease.. I don't think we're in any danger from this one." She exchanges a critical searching look with the large shaggy creature "It... can stay"

As the guards drift back to their quarters, Bael yips a greeting to his mistress through the bars. Eventually she reaches a hand through to scratch him behind the ear.

Softly, an amused voice mutters "...Hello you"
Calisar

Postby Glendriel on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:27 pm

I love it! <3
Glendriel

Character: Glendriel

Postby Aariam on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Oh dear, that is adorable!
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Class: Rogue

Postby Soriah on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Keeping my eye peeling for more of this. :) You're a very talented writer, Cali. :)
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah
Class: Hunter

Postby Calisar on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:37 am

Cheers guys ;D thanks for the feedback, let's wrap this one up shall we? As ever, it's all Thon's fault in the end ^^

The water shimmers invitingly...

Cal peers at the people in the next cell, two unexpected new neighbours in the gloom of the Darnassian prison. Thondalar stands, keeping protective watch over a slumped precious figure, one he calls 'Mother'. He must have chosen the cell as a place of safety for them both.

Tssk... What sane person seeks sanctuary in a prison?

Catching her breath she pauses on the stone steps at the edge, eyes fixed on the gentle undulating waves...

"I've tried everything to wake her" The young druid frowns to his visitors, the figures gathered at the door of his voluntary cell, shaking his head with weariness.

The woman just lies still all the while, curled on the rough floor near him, seemingly asleep. Cal crawls over to the bars, to the edge of her own cell, hunkering down to sit and watch. A little spark of fascination, a little choke of fear. Tilting her head from one side then to the other, trying to comprehend the situation.

Her lungs burn after all the running. The sprint through Darnassus had been flat out, pausing only to catch her breath. Dodging and weaving around the guards and locals had taken more luck than skill...

His Mother had once been a flame druid, a cultist and minion of the infamous Cromdale, brought down in battle long ago. A small unpleasant death on a field of many tragedies. The woman's blood had splashed on Cal's pale robe as she had pushed the dagger home in their brief ugly struggle.

A necessary act of self defence, over quickly but the regret had lingered for years after. The first life she had ever taken... and now.. impossibly... The woman that had lingered in guilty nightmares lay real and breathing, scarcely yards away from her.

She screws her eyes shut, balling her hands into trembling fists, taking the first step over the edge...

"You have not tried.. everything?" Cal murmurs thoughtfully, arching a questioning brow to Thondalar. Was he absolutely sure it was genuinely his Mother? All her senses bristled with wariness, this was just too strange, too great a surprise. Something felt amiss. A dark trick at play here and Thon was a pawn again.

The water feels cool, but laced with a blistering sensation. As if she has plunged frozen feet into a boiling bath. She gasps with surprise as she wades into the sparkling water...

There's a way we can be absolutely sure, we could -both- be sure. Cal ponders, waiting until Thondalar's back is turned before lifting her hand.

Negative energy coils like a living creature around her fingers. Flaring up in response to her command. A little manifestation of shadow that chills her palm, devouring the light around it, prickling her skin as she looks on with rising suspicion and disbelief upon the ghost in their midst.

Someone shouts an alarm pointing over to what she's doing...

Wading into the water now waist-deep, she almost cries out at the way it strangely burns and chills... a conflict of pain and comfort... sinking to her knees the water slaps up to her neck in a breathtaking rush...

Thondalar wheels around, angered beyond belief. Soriah sits in her far cell, her expression incredulous, watching on quietly. The visitors all speak, trying to calm the situation before it explodes.

The young druid places himself protectively in front of his mother. Snarling for her to stop, spitting that priestesses have been called to handle this... real ones...

The flicker of shadow magic fades, unused. Cal blinks, shaking her head, inwardly cursing her lapse. Of course, not right, not hardly helpful, that's why you're in here remember? It's never going to stop either. You can't be trusted. You locked yourself up in here to be alone... Through the confusion cuts a sudden thread of clarity "Fuck you Thondalar"

The sanctuary feels ruined, a stupid idea after all, it was time to get out... Too many people, too many voices to bear. Time for the only idea left.

She turns scrabbling through the dirt, fingers raking into the corners of the dark cell. Hunting, searching... knocking over the books, the candles, flipping through the blankets now shrugged off and forgotten. There were probably more words said after, many voices mingling as people drifted into Thon's cell to try and help with more acceptable and conventional powers.

His words were the final straw, more dangerous than he could know, a spark landing close to a keg of gunpowder.

Time to run...

The sparkling water billows through her scuffed and dirty clothes, she flops backwards to float on the surface. Wincing as a haze of steam rises from her blotched and discoloured skin. The stars above watch with cold detachment, the only spectators as she drifts on the surface of the remote moonwell...

Her hand closes around something small and heavy.. the metal key. She palms it, nodding briefly to Soriah who watches her every move. Poor lonely Soriah... She almost hesitates, muttering a low farewell.

Soriah nods back, her face a mask, watching owlishly as her recent companion in the dens makes for the door, swings through and sprints like an animal up the path to the surface, to freedom...

The cold stars fade as the sun creeps into view, crawling idly along its path overhead, consciousness ebbs away as the sky changes from pink to blue to gold and then back to black.

The searing burn in her skin calms to a dull ache as hallucinations whisper and keep her company. Echoes of Thondalar's hate, of Maelmoor's love, of Aariam's friendship, Salirien's hope and Anhagath's patience. Each trying to help in their own way. They vanish, replaced by a single figure, one with long dark hair so like her own. The woman reaches over to place a reassuring hand on her brow, leaning in to whisper softly. Words not heard for many years, words that bring a fleeting smile to Cal's lips.

The moonwell water fills her nostrils, blocks her ears, flows into her lungs in a choking deluge.

Slowly and without fanfare she sinks beneath the surface of the shimmering water, drowning at last, finally finding her own peace...
Calisar

Postby Salirien on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:00 pm

So beautifully written, Cal, as always. Also very grateful for Bael. Does he know CPR? :D

Looooved the ending in particular, can't wait to see where this will all lead ^^
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Class: Priestess

PreviousNext

Return to ∞ The Ancient of Lore ∞