Corruption

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Corruption

Postby Aariam on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:26 pm

”Your and Menori’s relationship is compromising the professionalism of the Order”.

The words echoed through her mind, and each time the phrase reverbed inside of her head, the knot in her stomach grew tighter. The encroaching panic fuelled by lingering anxiety made her increase the speed and length of her steps, striding through the quiet streets of Darnassus. She felt her hand slide down and take a firm hold of the pommel on her moonblade. The gloved hand wrapped around the round pommel tightly, the young commander releasing some of those pent up feelings. Soon, Aariam. Soon.

Her stride eventually led her to the Darnassian training grounds. The wooden dummies were still standing in slight curve across the field, and she picked one in her size to stand in front of. She dropped her hand from the pommel, and instead grabbed hold of the black-and-red grip. She clenched her hand around it and pulled it out of its scabbard swiftly, the metal scraping against the wood and leather. She waves the blade around a few times, warming up her sword arm.

She turns from the dummy, and begins to walk away from it in a straight line. Once she’s made it a few steps away, she turns on a heel. Aariam’s eyes rest on the dummy for a moment, gauging her opponent. She presses herself up onto her toes, and sets off into a blurring sprint. Within the second, she’s reached the dummy, and strikes at it horizontally, blade in one hand. She catches the blade on the other side with her left hand, and begins carrying the sword with both hands. She brings it up in an imaginary parry, driving the sword up above her head, and rams it down on the dummy. She hops back, and then darts into combat again, her adrenaline propelling the movements of her body and blade into a flurry. Not a single thought in her mind has been given towards the cuts of her blade, her instincts causing her to strike in something that at least looks like she knows what’s she’s doing. Her mind, however, was elsewhere.

She had wandered into the temple, looking to see if her mother had arrived yet. Whilst she thought it would be strange of Tolessa to not bring the children home first she argued that maybe an emergency had happened. Her eyes scanned across the insides hopefully, wanting to catch a glance of that purple tuft, or perhaps hear that innocent babble. A quick jolt of fear went through her body. Does Fayte even have purple hair anymore? And Ferith; maybe he talks these days. The thought sent a chill down her spine. Three months isn’t enough time to forget someone, is it? By this time, she had seated herself by the moonwell, staring into her own lap. The trousers still had some spots of dust on them, and the few tears caused by either dull blade or sharp ground. She glanced up as she heard a voice from opposite the well, and noticed Salirien and Aerandyr.

Whilst the conversations had been pleasant at first, Aariam even inviting Salirien to attend the bonding ceremony between herself and Menori, they soon took a turn for the worse. Aerandyr had a complaint as usual, and Salirien was there to back him up. Aariam could almost feel her body changing as the complaints rained down on her. Do not show emotion, Aariam. Do not let it rule. Her posture was straightened, her gaze calm yet stern, and she tried not to clench her jaw too much. Gently, truthfully, and fairly she tried to answer each question, and the gnawing thought at the back of her head, that age old wisdom, now rung loudly in her head: They are not your friends, Aariam. You are the commander, and that is all you are. Commanders don’t get to have friends.

As her mouth was replying to the various accusations and thinly-veiled insults, her mind had an inner battle with itself. That’s a lie. I do have friends.

You think you have friends. But, what are they, truly? People do not befriend their commander, because who wants to be friends with someone who yells at them all day?

I do not yell at them all the time!

Then perhaps you are a poor commander.

They say I am not—

People lie. Goddess, you must’ve learned this by now. Why would they want to spend their time with a jumped up child-commander? Why would they want to confide in you? Why should they feel safe around you? You hold their future in their hands – if they say the wrong thing, you can ruin them.

That is untrue! I would not!

Yet here is Aerandyr, without his tabard.

By this time, Aerandyr had left the temple. She was still talking to Salirien, trying to keep her cool. Anhagath had given her compliments earlier, telling her what progress she had made with her temper. She had been, truly. She didn’t let things get to her as much anymore, or at least she was better at containing them. Throughout the entirety of their Draenor campaign, she had kept her cool, been a leader; been a commander. Sure, she had felt like screaming at times, like bursting into tears. Some night all she wanted to do was to show weakness for a moment, to let her walls be brought down if just for a moment. I simply wanted to cry for a moment, to not have to be strong. To cower in someone’s arms, to have someone else tell me it’ll work out. Please, goddess, grant me this. Yet, the opportunity had never come, and walls had remained standing. But, the foundation was weakening.

”Your and Menori’s relationship is compromising the professionalism of the Order”. The words had been said, a stab in the heart. They are not your friends. She could feel her walls beginning to fall. She had been used to Aerandyr accusing Menori and herself of being in league with each other, corrupted, but not Salirien. Chunks of stone had begun to move, and were slowly falling from the gargantuan walls. I need to get out of here. Please, please, please, I need to go, now. It wouldn’t end, she couldn’t go now. There were more questions to answer, she had to be the commander. Just say “Elune’s fucking grace” and go! She said her goodbyes, without the profanity, and left the temple in a hurry.

The blade sank deeply into the dummy, wood splintering off in tiny chunks. She held the blade tightly with both hands, unmoving. She felt the warm tears roll down her cheeks, leaving a clear trail until her cheekbones. I’m crying. She released the blade, and fell to her knees. She shuffled over towards the base of the dummy, and sat herself against it. She pulled her legs up, and hid her face between her knees as the tears continued to flow. We’re not corrupt. We discuss all the time, we don’t always agree. But, they won’t believe me. She shivered slightly, and hugged her legs closer. Of course we think alike, that’s why we’re together! She didn’t know what angered her more; that they thought Menori had somehow gotten to where she was by copying her commander, or that Aariam was so arbitrary that she let her beloved do all the thinking.

The sound of voices and arriving footsteps made her head shoot up from its hidden position between her knees. She quickly sprung to her feet, grabbed the blade and pulled it out of the dummy, leaving a large gaping hole in the wood. She slid it into the scabbard once more, and then ran from the training field. Behind her she left a trail of Aariam’s crumbled fortress.
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Re: Corruption

Postby Calisar on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:03 pm

Oh my... D: this was brilliant, heartbreaking for poor Aari! Great to get a glimpse of the inner turmoil and beautifully written too ;)

Those buggers! grr! ^^
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Priest + Druid

Postby Soriah on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Ohhhh poor Aariam. She does try her very best to contain herself, and for the most part does rather well. But... you know what they say. Haters gon' hate.

Really liked this story, Aariam. :) Thought it would make a good story when I saw this the first time. Emotional struggle, oh yes.
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah
Class: Hunter

Postby Mimerss on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:00 pm

...sounds like Aari could use some goold ol' Feiah huggles!..I keep telling myself.. Maybe I'll come back some day! And well.. I wanna come back even more now! D:
Feiah Alinaris - Druid of The Wild
Lainathiel Moonshadow - Huntress & Sentinel
My Deviant Art http://mimerss.deviantart.com/
Mimerss

Character: Mimerss
Class: Druid

Postby Lomenár on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:24 pm

Beautifully written Aari! I loved it! Now I sort of want to bring Lome back, so Aari can have -one- shoulder to cry on at least. :)
Lomenár Nightsinger
Sentinel, Matriarch-Commander of the Blackmoon Sentinels - MIA

Tinwëtar Ravenmist
Priestess of the Moon, Commander of the Nightblade Sentinels

Sinami Swifthowl
Orc huntress and beastmaster, Oathbound and Varog'gor in training of the Orcs of the Red Blade.

Lomenár

Character: Lomenar

Postby Thondalar on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:20 am

Amaizingly written! It is great to see the thoughts behind her some times.
Thondalar
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Character: Thondalar

Postby Salirien on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:12 am

Brilliant! ^^ Your writing gives me liiiife~! Interesting to see how this looked on the other end, as well! But one question remains... When will I be brought to the gallows? xD Also, every story has two sides, so I posted Salirien's view of the evening ^^
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Class: Priestess

Postby Darathir on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Poor Aariam... needs to MAN UP and smack people around more!

Domination 101: a Queen has subjects, not friends!
Darathir

Character: Darathir
Class: Mage

Postby Aariam on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Thank you for all the kind words. :D

And indeed, two sides of the same coin! Gonna pop over and read Sali's version right now. :D

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Elysar on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:45 pm

Just read this today, liked your story Aariamza ^^ And I felt the exact same as Lome and Mims: I feel like befriending Aariam now so she got someone to talk to! Funny what a bit of vulnerability can do, huh :)
I love Nature's Grasp <3
Elysar
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Character: Elysar

Postby Lomenár on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Elysar wrote:Just read this today, liked your story Aariamza ^^ And I felt the exact same as Lome and Mims: I feel like befriending Aariam now so she got someone to talk to! Funny what a bit of vulnerability can do, huh :)

Eh... Lome and Aari are already friends. BFFs... or, they used to be at least. xD
Lomenár Nightsinger
Sentinel, Matriarch-Commander of the Blackmoon Sentinels - MIA

Tinwëtar Ravenmist
Priestess of the Moon, Commander of the Nightblade Sentinels

Sinami Swifthowl
Orc huntress and beastmaster, Oathbound and Varog'gor in training of the Orcs of the Red Blade.

Lomenár

Character: Lomenar

Postby Mimerss on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:13 am

I *think* Feiah is on the good side with Aariam.. Somewhat atleast.. Not having proper RP'ed her for a long while, so I don't really remember anymore :<
Feiah Alinaris - Druid of The Wild
Lainathiel Moonshadow - Huntress & Sentinel
My Deviant Art http://mimerss.deviantart.com/
Mimerss

Character: Mimerss

Postby Aariam on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:39 am

Of course they're still friends, Lome! Aariam doesn't know about Thera -yet-. ;)

And I think Feiah is in Aariam's good graces as well!

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Soriah on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Ooo! Ooo! What about Soriah? :) :)
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah

Postby Aerandyr on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:35 pm

What about Soriah?
Aerandyr
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Aerandyr