Orphan of the Stars

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Re: Orphan of the Stars

Postby Aariam on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:39 pm

Aerandyr wrote:What? No. Why?

He so wants to be Ethelinas. ;)
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Postby Aerandyr on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Well,I can't type my followup lest I spoil what is to come.
Aerandyr
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Aerandyr
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Postby Aariam on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Aerandyr wrote:Well,I can't type my followup lest I spoil what is to come.

Aariam 1, Aerandyr 0? ;)

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Landrian on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:32 pm

I love your story Sali you write amazingly,can't wait for more :D
One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world will be better for this
Landrian
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Landrian
Class: Warrior

Postby Eluvere on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:43 pm

Quit that uni and lock yourself up in some attic to write books, Sali.

Your grasp of what it could be like to be a priestess is so amazing I feel like a RP noob just reading it.
Eluvere

Character: Elu
Class: Druidess

Postby Salirien on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks for the lovely feedback, you guys! =) Trust me Elu, if I could make a living that way, I would! Part 6 ahoy! Enjoy! ^^

"A Priestess is nothing without the people she is set to lead, but equally, she must be a Priestess to guide them. They expect to see a certain image. Proud, safe, calm, strong, kind… these are all the realm of the Priestess, and she must exhibit and inspire all five. It would be foolish to think that only a woman could exhibit these traits."

Chapter 6 – The Winds of Duty

The sea was still and welcoming, inviting the frigate to glide on through. The winds were slightly rougher, but a brilliant sun stood high in the sky, making temperatures rather agreeable. It was one of the disadvantages of being at sea; night time travel was out of the question. Jagged reefs and shoals would rip a ship to shreds as surely as a storm, and The Night Glaive carried too precious cargo; a Priestess clad in white.

Salirien stood at the fore, peering at the ship on the horizon. A single carrack, made for speed and easy navigation. Its lavender coloured sails bloomed in the wind, pushing it on through the endless blue. But so too did The Night Glaive catch wind, only the frigate had some help. Golothlyn, a Druid of quite some experience judging by his stories, evoked a forceful gale to drive them on. None could well escape the Kaldorei fleet. These pirates on the horizon would be no different. Why some of Elune's favoured would stoop so low as to piracy, Salirien would never know.

Salirien’s white robes were suiting enough, layers upon layers of fine wool, a cowl and scarf to shield her face from the wind, and gloves to keep her hands from freezing. Between the natural breeze of the ocean and the gales Golothlyn were weaving, she was very happy to be so well dressed. A single clasp at her shoulder would undo her cape and cowl, should she fall in the water. There was little reason to be spared from the cold of the air, if she were to succumb to the cold of the deep.

For nearly fifty years she had been with the crew of The Night Glaive. Sentinels, most of them, the captain, Galbina, was a Huntress who had shaved her head clean of hair and instead had elaborate tattoos that started at her cheeks and ended over half way across her scalp. She was tall and broad of shoulder, but still managed to seem as feminine as the soft and plump navigator, Ithinde. The crew had obviously been working together for a long time, and worked with a synergy that both impressed and inspired Salirien. Even after fifty years with mostly the same crew, she felt like an outsider. But that was the way of things, and she knew it well. A Priestess is not a person. Not really. The Priestess is a guiding light that never worries, never fears. That is what they want to see, and so they shall.

“How long now, an hour? Two?” It was the deep, almost booming voice of Captain Galbina. Her tattoos were intricate, but looked somewhat faded around the eyes. She had apparently added to them over the years, but the original tattoos could use some touching up. Salirien had chosen not to get tattoos of her own, and she doubted she ever would.

“No more than one. Golothlyn is weaving a storm that rather fits his mood. At this pace, we will be upon them before long,” Salirien replied, placing a hand on the rail. She turned to look over the starboard side. Two other frigates, each with a Druid to evoke the winds and a Priestess at the fore, in garments of flapping white, accompanied The Night Glaive. It was an unusual fleet, three frigates and no cruisers, no light ships. The reasoning was quite simple. They did not need light ships.

“How are you feeling?” asked the Captain, placing one of her massive hands on Salirien’s shoulder. She had never been one for unnecessary physical contact, and though she realised it was meant as a comforting gesture, it made her cringe. Galbina withdrew her hand. “My apologies. I keep forgetting.”

“Think nothing of it. I appreciate the concern. And I am ready. The Goddess’ will must be done.” She had over six hundred years of experience convincing people she had no emotions. Six hundred years of relentless training, hiding and concealing worry and fear, anger and frustration. She did not shiver when she was cold, nor did she sweat when she was warm. Frowns and smiles were things used to evoke certain emotions, like safety, or uncertainty. Indeed, she saw it as her calling to spread the Goddess’ light to as many as she could, taking away fear, anger, doubt and conflict. But equally, it was important to quell rebelliousness, stubbornness, foolishness and recklessness, and that was done best with firm words and a stern frown. It had been an integral part of her training.

Her thoughts went back to her village. It had come to be her truest of homes. Endolin was the one who had set her on this naval mission some fifty years ago, and Salirien understood well why. Ethelinas and I knew the day would come, when we would be set on different paths. Endolin saw to it that the uncertainty be taken away. She was merciful to send me away for only sixty years.

But when she thought back on her village, her… family? Well, when she thought about them, it was bitter sweet. She missed them tremendously, and could not wait for the day she got back. She had received letters now and again, and according to Endolin, Salirien was now the big sister of a boy, Gentharius. He would be… 14? 15? A child, and though such news should have stirred joy and warmth, it made her furious. My fool father has shown little will to change his ways, I see. Meranwith had indeed brought Salirien to Ashenvale with good reason, and she was glad he had, but she could not imagine for what Gentharius had been brought there.

At least he will be looked after by Endolin and Ethelinas…

She lowered her head in thought. Ethelinas…

He was foremost in her thoughts, always. He was the reason she pushed on, and the reason she could smile. The mere thought of him cut away her own doubt, made it possible for her to be strong for others. Yet at the same time, a worry grew in her.

Ethelinas had said it did not matter. He said that no things were changed. Indeed, he had known from very early on that Salirien could not give him children.

“I love you… you know that?” His words restored by memory, rang within her mind. “I knew long before our first kiss. I’ve known all along, you know that. It wasn’t a choice I made to stay with you, it is the only way I want to live. Children or no, my love for you is real. Please, Sali… don’t push me away like this.”

She pulled her scarf up to cover her mouth and nose as the frigate picked up speed and the winds became harsher. Or was it to mask her face as shame swelled in her?

“How can I be so selfish, Ethelinas? How can I take from you the promise of such joy? How foolish have I been, to think myself of such importance?” she had said to him then, almost sixty years ago. She had seen the worry on his face, calm and controlled, but real. And it broke her heart to know that she had been the cause of such worry. But the matter could not be ignored. “It breaks my heart to think that you should never have a brave little girl, tugging at your sleeves and asking for stories late at night… or a kind little boy, a trueborn son to be yours. I love you more than the Goddess has allowed me to describe, Ethelinas… but I cannot give you these things. And I love you too much to see you squander your life without them.”

She had known happiness for almost six hundred years. For that, she was grateful. But equally, she knew that all things must have an end, and she knew that this, too, must have an end. Though, she also knew that her love for Ethelinas would not change. It never would. It would be there, in her chest, and it would burn as only love could, granting agony and bliss in equal measure. Together they could not make life, and it filled her with shame. It had broken something in her, she knew, even if she had always known. Why did it suddenly matter?

If nothing else, she would love him and be his friend. She would not deny him a future.

“Priestess Silverwind?” It was not the voice of Ethelinas, but Captain Galbina.

Salirien’s eyes snapped to the woman. Galbina was frowning, which looked strange on a woman without eyebrows. Her intricate tattoos were wrinkled around the brow, making them uglier than they needed to be. The Captain pointed, and Salirien understood. The carrack was well within range.

“Sink it.”

And Salirien called upon the majesty of Elune’s light, weaving a white firestorm. As the burning star crashed down into the carrack, ripping it in twine, screams mixed with the roars of fire and splintering wood as the ship was torn apart by its own weight.

Salirien looked without an emotion as sentinels formed at the portside railing, plucking the surviving pirates out of the water with arrows.

The wind blew, tugging at her cape and her sleeves.
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Class: Priestess

Postby Aariam on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:05 am

Amazing as always, Sali. :) I was just thinking about Sali and physical contact; poor thing has to live through so many Aarihugs. :D

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Edradir on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:29 pm

Truly a joy to read. :)
Edradir

Postby Salirien on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:53 am

Final part of Orphan of the Stars. Thanks to everyone for your lovely comments and feedback throughout all these parts! To accompany this chapter I've added one of my favourite tracks from Skyward Sword. It only seemed fitting! If you wish, you can also go and read The Longest Day, which is a story I wrote over a year ago now. It takes place between parts 6 and 7. Here is a link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4760 Enjoy! ^^

"In the end, I have ruined everything."

Chapter 7 – Ruin

Grant them strength, Mother. Protect them, and make keen their swords. Look after them now, for I cannot, Salirien prayed. Burn away the enemy, that life may grow anew. Keep safe our loved ones, that they may find home again. Please, Mother, don’t forsake us in this hour of need.

It was a desperate prayer, Salirien knew, but she had forsaken any notion of remaining honour. She just wanted the warriors of her village to come home again. She wanted Ethelinas back, Rhyn, the other Sentinels and Druids… Even now, Hyjal was under siege, from an enemy long since thought defeated, long since dismissed.

The winds of Ashenvale were different now. At some point, they had been the sweetest thing, a vision of paradise, a thing too good for imagination. Over time, Salirien had come to call these forests her home. Now, they felt desecrated and twisted. What the filthy green skins had not chopped down to fuel their expansion and war machine, had either been scarcely protected by the Sentinels, or fallen into the spreading corruption of the Legion.

Making matters worse, the pink skins had come across the sea. Tyrande had insisted that Kaldorei, Human and Orc work together in order to thwart off the invasion, but Salirien could not quell the uneasiness in her heart. The Orcs had taken the life of Cenarius, an event that seemed as unlikely as the coming of the Legion. And the Humans sheltered all-too familiar beings in their ranks. Elves, twisted and softened by their magics. Oh, there was little doubt who these Elves were. They would find no sweet homecoming.

Between the wrath of these foreigners’ violations, and the agonizing sorrow of losing Cenarius, Salirien felt, more than anything, a tremendous concern. So quickly, so much had fallen. How many thousands lay dead, scattered throughout the woodlands? How many demons kept pouring in through the portals of the Burning Legion? And within all the chaos and the despair of her people, Tyrande had released Illidan. The mere thought of The Betrayer on the loose was almost as disconcerting as everything else the world had become.

Indeed, Salirien’s heart was heavy. The world was crumbling. She wanted Ethelinas here, though she would only admit it in private. She would not show weakness, least of all now. The common people looked to the Temples for hope, for inspiration, for a purpose to keep fighting.

Salirien stood, looking up at the relief of Elune. The Goddess looked wroth, tremendous and of a majesty Salirien could not comprehend. She had sheltered in her hands the Kaldorei and kept them safe for millennia, so what had changed? Why had the Goddess now decided to release the hand, and leave her children to fate’s cruel ways?

Salirien stepped forward, placing a hand on the relief, on the Mother’s cheek. She wondered, and she could not help but feel orphaned. And despite this, she knew Elune had not changed at all. Salirien sighed, looking down with resignation. I feel so alone, Mother, so… orphaned. I wonder sometimes if you ever feel alone as well, if you feel abandoned and by yourself. Is this… we your servants are bound to feel the same? What is this lesson, that is so cruel? Salirien frowned. My faith wavers… forgive me, Mother. I mean not to be weak, but I cannot conceal my fear, nor my worry. You have been kinder to me than I ever understood.

The workings of the Goddess were, to say the least, difficult to understand. But Salirien could not deny the effects of Elune, either. Since she was little more than a fool child, Salirien had evoked divine fire. She had learned to delve deeply into this power, bringing it out to also create, and fortify. Yes, this power… it could not be denied.

Footsteps in the distance made Salirien turn. Endolin stepped across the walkway, over the lake and into the modest temple. She wore brilliant silvers and whites, her black hair adorned with threads of pearls and diamonds. It was almost horrible to see how beautifully the Priestesses dressed in wartime, but Salirien knew it served a purpose. We are not of the common people… they look to us for guidance and strength. We are not affected by worldly matters. We are fortitude. It was mostly a lie, but it was exactly what the people needed. If Salirien could chose, she would tear it all away, revealing the bare truth. But what then, of the common people? Would they not succumb to despair without the unwavering guidance of the Temples?

Endolin stepped into the temple proper. She carried a rolled up note in her hand, the seal broken. Salirien’s eyes snapped to the note, eyeing it warily. News from the front.

She looked up to meet Endolin’s eyes. But the elder Priestess looked down. For a moment, there was only silence.

“I am sorry, Salirien.” Endolin stepped closer, looking up at her. There was sorrow in her white eyes, sorrow and worry. And Salirien knew.

But that could not be. The Goddess protected her children. She showed the way, and kept them safe, shielded them with her Light. Salirien took a step away from Endolin, keeping the letter at a distance. “No,” she replied, eyes firmly affixed on her mentor.

Endolin stopped, looking down again. “There was a battle in the eastern mountains.”

“No,” Salirien replied again, louder this time. It’s not true. It can’t be, the Goddess would not allow it.

“Salirien... Ethelinas has fallen. He fought bravely, but their regiment was outnumbered. I am sorry.”

A wind, gentle and free, sang through the temple’s open columns. White and silver fabrics, silver and black hair all danced in that breeze. And Salirien was crumbling.

“You’re wrong,” she replied confidently, turning away from Endolin. “You’re wrong.” The words sounded distant, hollow. She looked up at the Goddess, tremendous and glorious, wondering what she might ask for this time. Something to take away the confusion? “Leave me be,” she said. The elder stood, waiting for a moment. Perhaps looking for the right words, but in the end, Endolin returned to the village.

He can’t be dead. There are things we need to do, need to see and say… Elune, please, I beg of you, don’t let this happen-

Salirien knew Endolin would not deceive her – and so Salirien fell to her knees with a wail of pain.

Why? Why this? Why did he have to die? Sweet, kind Ethelinas… The pain grew inside her, the grief – the heavy burden of irredeemable loss – and the regret of seven hundred years. His face appeared before her mind’s eye, smiling and happy, strong and kind.

She realised she was weeping. Bring him home, Elune, bring him home… I just want to see him, I need to see him… But she knew no amount of prayer would bring him back.

It could have been the wrath, the grief, or the pain that did it, Salirien was not sure, nor did she care, but she screamed, she cried, and on the inside, she knew she was no more alive than Ethelinas.

She felt her heart breaking. She knew she would never make the pieces fit back together.
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Class: Priestess

Postby Aariam on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:57 pm

How very rude of someone to be cutting onions whilst I was reading the story.. ^^;

Incredibly tragic, and a very powerful ending to the story. The soundtrack fit incredibly well, too.

Thank you for letting us tag along this journey, Sali. I've thoroughly enjoyed it; I can always have more of that delicious, gut-wrenching tragedy. ;)

Aariam
Site Admin

Postby Edradir on Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:11 pm

A sad and cruel ending...

It makes me SAD... need to cut some onions to feel happy...

A sad thing to see her long for her lover and find he is taken from her after being away for so long.
To see her being so powerful and yet so powerless to protected those she loved or change their faith.
Others in lore have suffered a similar faith and they wrought themselves in despair and in the end madness took them.
Good to see that she held her wits and join the gang of lunatics called Nature's grasp. ^^

Nonetheless a bliss to read, Sali.

Now I see and understand why she is so downcasted at times.
I always wanted to ask why she longed to the sea when playing Edradir, though during Role playing I never found the appropriate time for it.

And the same Aariam said, without repeating it.
We have tasted the good, we do not want the bad any more.

Keep it coming! :D
Edradir

Previous

Return to ∞ The Ancient of Lore ∞