Crossroads.

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Crossroads.

Postby Aerandyr on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Two months ago.

Peace came with the familiarity of her scent, his faintly crooked nose nuzzled behind a long, elegant ear. Pale manes which mingled with lavender purple and two sets of hands entwined closely, like reeds of a basket. Her bare, arched back was hugging his exposed chest, traces of happiness lingering in the upward corners of her mouth and when she looked across her shoulder at him, she drew forth a smile of his own.
There were no words, none needed be spoken. The knowledge that two made one was enough. She turned completely towards him, reached for his face, cupped it, held him gently and leaned forwards, brushing her lips against his. The moment was infinite, time a notion of no consequence to the union of their hearts, for hers had not only mended his but sustained it.

Every night she repelled the darkness, she halted the pain. And as moonlight faded, replaced by sunlight, so did the soothing serenity of the dream with the sinking realization it was nothing more than a familiar but no less cruel mirage spun by his mind.

-----------------------------------

Daybreak had come and with it the ominous rumbling of cannon fire in distant valleys, bringing the ironclad elf to reality. Reality in the form of another day in the vast jungles of Tanaan, the last day of the hunt.
Atleast this time he hadn't been its prey nor was he on his own as when he first came to Draenor, having enjoyed the privilege of an extended stay in the very same area.
Stiffening a yawn he rolled over on the crudely improvised sleeping mat, which was nothing more than a heap of leaves, to look over to his companion and found her already awake and upright.

Two wickedly curved horns protruded from her forehead, black as night. A bloodstained blindfold did a poor job of disguising the grotesque act of self-mutilation that was at the center of her power and nearby lay the iconic twin glaives associated with her kin. A disciple of The Betrayer. A demon hunter.

Once upon a time he would've been enraged by her very being, deeming the fel-ridden elf an affront to everything the Kaldorei stood for. On the other hand, not so long ago he was offended by arcanists and their sorcery. It was a sentiment of days long past, handed down from generation to generation he realized now, time having eroded his stance; the result of decades of war and the undeniable effectiveness of a certain few magii he had come to know through the Order.

"Arcane leads to fel." He scoffed, recalling the first time his father impressed that lesson upon him, a warning to heed and one he had lived by for centuries. In the end it had proven to be correct, albeit in a perverse way.

One had to appreciate the irony.

An uneasy silence hung between the two elves as they went through their established morning routine, gathering the few earthly possessions they carried and erased all traces of their overnight camp. Ever so often he caught an accusatory glare sent his way. How she managed to accomplish such without eyes was beyond him, but the tone for the final part of the trek was set, the unwelcoming jungle and its stagnant swamps awaited.

-----------------------------------

Sooner rather than later she spoke up. Her voice always caught him by surprise. A little timid and soft but filled with conviction, it could've belonged to a priestess of Elune. He wondered if that had been her calling before she trapped a demon's soul within her.

"Think of what you could achieve with this gift, the incre-"

"Curse." He interrupted her mid-sentence, earning himself a threatening growl. She wasn't accustomed to company, least of all one as insolent as him.

"You don't win a war while keeping to rules when your enemy has none." She hissed, clearly annoyed.

There it was, the start of her lengthy discourse. They had been over this before, every other evening in fact. How the Legion grew more dangerous with each defeat, learning, adapting, unlike his people. The stubbornness that was once the source of their salvation would eventually lie at the heart of their defeat, and for a race that lived such long lives they had grown terribly short-sighted. They had not won any wars in the last decades, only battles and even those victories were hollow ones. Their enemy was eternal, their demise only a setback as Draenor had revealed. The sacrifice of the Kaldorei, the blood spilled under the World Tree, it was all for naught; legion captains such as Azgalor and Kaz'rogal were spotted before the gates of Hellfire by veterans of Hyjal. Even Archimonde the Defiler himself was rumored to have returned. If they ever wanted to see the end of this conflict and return to better days, they would have to commit to total war.

Her reasoning was sound, he had always found himself agreeing, not that he required any convincing on that part. So now came her follow-up.

"We're not so different, you and I. Hero. Monster. What does it matter? In the end we are both killers. I'm only a far superior one."

She was certainly a priestess once, he decided; being able to deliver lectures like these. Next would be the part where she'd bring up Elune. It was time to end this.

"If Elune does not understand then she is no Goddess of mine." He said, skipping straight to the conclusion she sought.

"If so, what is keeping you from committing? Why must you return to the hastily grown stump you call home? We both know there is nothing for you there, the way you fight betrays you." She smirked, content with her victory. The trap had been in the making for weeks and he had stepped into it blindly.

Aye, why did he? It was a question he asked himself ever since the offer was made. Why did he feel obliged to go back to Darnassus while deep down he knew he was too tired to truly be part of his own people anymore, too tired to contribute in any other way but their survival, or better the eradication of their enemies.

What did Kalimdor hold for him? A past defined by loss. Things that could've been but never were. Painful memories, some of them still walking.

I could love you, you know?

A haunting dream.

For once, Aerandyr kept his silence.

As per demand, hat off to Ellouvre for proof-reading.
Aerandyr
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Aerandyr
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Rogue

Re: Crossroads.

Postby Salirien on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Why do you not write more for the forums, Aerandyr? WHY!? This was a delicious read, and I hope you write more soon! And that woman is one tough nut if she can shut Aerandyr up! ^,^

I am also slightly worried where this might lead D:
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Priestess

Postby Aariam on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:14 am

You write awfully good, Aer. I want to read more. Please write more so that I can read more.
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam

Postby Lomenár on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:39 am

A very nice read! Keep it up! Aer's path to becomming a DH has started?
Lomenár Nightsinger
Sentinel, Matriarch-Commander of the Blackmoon Sentinels - MIA

Tinwëtar Ravenmist
Priestess of the Moon, Commander of the Nightblade Sentinels

Sinami Swifthowl
Orc huntress and beastmaster, Oathbound and Varog'gor in training of the Orcs of the Red Blade.

Lomenár

Character: Lomenar
Class: Hunter

Postby Soriah on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:28 pm

Not sure how much of your writing I have read in the past Aer, but I really like your style. :) You write well. Keep it up!

I mean... Ew.
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah
Class: Hunter

Postby Aerandyr on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Only that other one. I don't enjoy writing, so dream on!
Aerandyr
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Aerandyr

Postby Edradir on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:01 pm

That was truly a good read.
Given a glimpse in the life of the most stern and silent elf in the Order.

I can only cheer for another story of Aerandyr.
Edradir

Return to ∞ The Ancient of Lore ∞