A New Year

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

A New Year

Postby Aariam on Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:02 am

It was difficult to keep track of the time, but as the distant explosions started to come at much shorter intervals, she knew that it must have happened. An orchestra of red, blue, and green illuminated the skies as their world entered into a new year.

The small ones had been very frightened at first, but it would not take long before they were pressed against the windows of the house, staring up at the colours dancing in the sky. Fright turned into joy, and joy turned into sadness as the display ended. The children were consoled by being reminded that the Lunar Festival was only a couple of short months away. The idea of another fireworks spectacle won the young ones over, and they went back to playing with their toys.

Later on in the night, the Keeper ventured outside of their temporary home. She was very grateful that she and her little ones had been invited to stay there, during this time where living in her own house felt impossible. She knew that they would have to go back sometime, that they couldn't overstay their welcome. However; this didn't make their home any more appealing, and it remained a dark, miserable, and by now, dusty nightmare.

Carrying a paper lantern and a lit candle, she settled down on the ground a short distance from the house. She had hung a rolled up letter from the base of the lantern, and took extra care to make sure that it was not crumpled underneath the lantern as she set it down on the ground. The burning candle was placed within the lantern, giving off a warm glow, and hot air filled the insides.

The Keeper stood up and stepped back as the lantern began its slow ascent through the night air. It acted as if guided by an invisible hand, dancing between the boughs and crowns of Teldrassil, slowly but surely making its way towards the calm, starry skies. Just as it was about to hit a large branch, it was pulled away, and continued on its merry path. Merry; yes, there was something cheerful about how the ball of warm light twirled around, pulling its message behind it.

The pace of its rise felt like it increased more swiftly once it had safely made it past the top of the trees. Soon, the once discernable lantern had become nothing more than a golden sphere, then a dot, and finally it simply seemed to merge with the silver stars. The lantern was out there somewhere, with its little letter, but the Keeper could not tell where.

She stood outside for a good while longer, simply staring up at the stars. She hoped that tonight had looked beautiful from up there.
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Re: A New Year

Postby Eluvere on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:54 am

Looks like Aari had a lonely new year =(
Eluvere

Character: Elu
Class: Druidess

Postby Salirien on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:57 pm

A new year, a new refrigirator, a new fiscal sacrifice. Out with the old, in with the elderly.

A nice read! Kinda gloomy, the way I like it, and with undertones of hope. Makes me want to conjure up somerhing like this for Sali. You're so inspirational :D
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Class: Priestess

Postby Aariam on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:11 am

Salirien wrote:A new year, a new refrigirator, a new fiscal sacrifice. Out with the old, in with the elderly.

A nice read! Kinda gloomy, the way I like it, and with undertones of hope. Makes me want to conjure up somerhing like this for Sali. You're so inspirational :D

Aww, thank you.

Please do! Let us all know what the Party Priestesses are up to. :D
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Class: Rogue

Postby Edradir on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:58 am

A nice read! Kinda gloomy

My thoughts exactly. Gloomy indeed.

It gives me the impression the part of Darnassus where this story plays is empty as everyone is somewhere else celebrating.
A lonesome moment, nicely written.
Edradir

Postby Calisar on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:17 pm

A private slice of Aari-grief, awr :( the last line is a killer. Beautifully done ;)
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Priest + Druid

Return to ∞ The Ancient of Lore ∞