Eluvere

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Eluvere

Postby Eluvere on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:58 pm

This is for Salirien. I don't like writing much so this might be the only story ever, and quite unpolished so sorry for any continuation mistakes. I also don't like sharing secrets OOC so I think this is a short story that tells a lot but at the same time nothing at all.

Her favorite time of night. Elu had woken up early to witness the sun's skinburning light die at the horizon, but had found herself smiling at the half overcast sky hastening twilight. Thunder roared in the distance and the rapid moving clouds shifting in front of the first stars were promise for a magnificent sight once the White Lady and her Blue Child would illuminate them at their full strength. She sat still on a bough of one of Feralas' giants, high enough for a clear view into the distance and low enough to observe any unsuspecting wildlife passing by. Invisible. One. Not so very long ago she would have sat just like this, bow on her lap. She closed her eyes and rested her head against the mighty trunk, inhaling deeply the fresh air of the storming wind. Wild nature had always calmed her mind and heart, the elements being no exception.

Howls. Wolves.

She opened her eyes and looked into the direction of the symphony. The bonding song of a pack protecting their territory? No. This was a rallying cry for the hunt. Probably aiming to go after the herd of deer she had spotted from the sky when she set out earlier. She smirked to herself, musing. They were in perfect balance now, as some would say. Three, perhaps four more summers before both populations would reach their peak and the balance would tip, plummeting both into decline while the flora flourishes anew, temporarily relieved of its own predator. She had learned to see those patterns and cycles thousands of years ago already but in recent decades studied them more thoroughly. Some say that they should be halted. But for Elu there was a certain beauty even in starving beasts, to bear witness how nature balances herself. To believe she required our help was ignorant, almost arrogant even. Elu could however sympathise with the argument of kindness. To end pain. She wondered what view the current Cenarion overseers of Feralas adhered. Even if she had strong conviction of her own, each view was a rightful one. Whatever course of action the forest wardens chose, with her kin in charge she was never afraid real harm would come to her beloved lands or their biodiversity. In any case not by their hand.

With that reassuring thought somehow tonight keeping the usual mists in her head at bay, Elu pushed herself up with a slight content smile. She slid off and leapt down, - one light step on a branch midway-, to the ground below in a casual motion a member of another race might still deem graceful. Touching down as a black panther, she had felt her body shift and with that her mind had followed. A different awareness, a different drive, a rushing of instincts and a fading of thoughts to the background so taken for granted in her elven form. She flicked an ear and twitched her tail, a split second of adjusting and asserting control. No wonder some fall prey to the wild spirit flowing through their being. Apart from its power to overtake, the mere sensation of it is exhilerating.

Elu lifted her head tasting the air before stalking down the hill, concealing her presence by treading light and against the wind. Invisible. Her movement, behaviour and form indistinguishable from the wild creatures she had now adopted shape. One. She moved slowly, step by step. Listening. Watching. Not so very long ago she would have moved just like this, arrow nocked. So much had changed and at the same time, nothing at all.

She loved hunting. All the way up until the part where she smelled fear and tasted blood. Some find it uncompassionate. Claim that life has to be taken solemnly, in honor of the sacrifice. But she liked giving in to her feral instincts. After all she had seen countless times how -they- enjoyed it, why not could she do the same? It was an ancient old dance of life and death and she gladly let it spin her around. There was no hate, no anger. Because they all know. The hunter knows and the hunted know perhaps most of all.

This is our nature.
Eluvere

Character: Elu
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Druidess

Re: Eluvere

Postby Landrian on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:24 pm

A peek into the life of Elu just what i have been waiting for :D
One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world will be better for this
Landrian
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Landrian
Class: Warrior

Postby Tenshylwin on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Ooh me likey! This was quite an interesting read Elu! :D
Tenshylwin, Guardian of Cenarius - 100 Night elf Druid
Druid of the Wild
Tenshylwin

Character: Kitten
Class: Druid

Postby Salirien on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:27 pm

You kept telling me you can't write, but this is absolutely lovely, Elu! Such a brilliant display of Eluvere's mindset and Druidic alignment. I really, really loved this.
Such an interesting take on the philosophy of the Druids, too! :)

Eluvere wrote:Wild nature had always calmed her mind and heart, the elements being no exception

^ So true though, completely agree! :D
"Shine your light on us, Mother, for the day has grown long, and we are lost."
Salirien
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Salirien
Class: Priestess

Postby Anhagath on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 pm

I do love it! I didn't comment yet because of all the new stories up but I really liked this piece. That sense of "feral" nature is wonderfully described.
"My favorite color is fire."
Anhagath

Character: Anhagath
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Mage

Postby Aariam on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:07 pm

Finally! :D

Now, you do realize that since you've exposed us to your wonderful writing, we'll bother you even more for stories? ;)
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Class: Rogue

Postby Eluvere on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Tsssk don't count on it.

But thanks guys, getting such lovely feedback from writers I adore is quite wonderful<3
Eluvere

Character: Elu
Class: Druidess

Postby Calisar on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:06 am

It was an ancient old dance of life and death and she gladly let it spin her around. There was no hate, no anger. Because they all know. The hunter knows and the hunted know perhaps most of all.

Really loved the sense of Elu taking a long view on life in this piece. The pace and the style really is wonderful, a fantastic insight into the mind of our Shan'do. Loved it! ;)

You realise... we all have a stick of moar here and we're going to use it on you now ^^

*prods for moar*
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Priest + Druid

Return to ∞ The Ancient of Lore ∞