Salvation Day

Public forum for the writings of the members of the Order. Here you'll find background stories and other stories written by the members of the Order...

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Salvation Day

Postby Elysar on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:32 am

Well, seeing as the forum is up and running again (yay!), I wanted to post a recent story in here that I've written on my first active Horde character ever (never saw the day coming!). His name is Filch Grimestone and he's a goblin on Gearfist IBS - if any of you are familiar with that! Either way, really loving the character although he's hard to RP as he's very unlike myself. Nice challenge though. Let me know what you think!

----------

There was a thin line of evening sun creeping into the otherwise dark room; like a small note from a happy song desperately trying to call out to anyone not noticing the tune. In Filch Grimestone's mind, however, there was no music… the only sunlight in his life was the sparkling gem he was currently holding between his two, long fingernails.

Thick flays of dust-clouds hovering in and out of a strangled sunbeam revealed the lack of cleaning in the Goblin’s “office”. It looked like an old shack of sorts; old wooden floorboards and walls with a very dust yellow tapestry on them – or at least it would be yellow if it wasn’t so dark! The only real furniture in the room was Filch’s desk right in the middle, an old, red armchair next to a fringed lamp, a few filing cabinets and then a big, heavily locked safe in the corner. Otherwise, the room was mainly stacked with massive clutter making a mess: Paper and folders stacked on top of each other, big sacks of unidentified content (and probably better left that way), bottles and other objects that suggested careless attention to the surroundings. Most things had a nice layer of dust on them. A lazy fly was buzzing around the room with little to no spirit.

On Filch’s desk was a lot of strange objects; mostly gems and the tools to handle them. A brass scale was currently containing golden coins on one end and red gems on the other, and a pen was ready to note down income on a parchment. Filch held up the red ruby in front of his magnifying singular goggle for thorough inspection: Supreme, dark red colour. Check. Perfect weight and symmetric execution. Check. Flawless facets. Check. This goblin was rarely ever found smiling – only right now, right here, when the refraction of light through the gem sparkled in his eyes. At this time, Filch’s face crept into a smirk – slowly, as though his smile-mechanics were dysfunctional from never using them – revealing a canine tooth in the dark.

“Another good heist…” he quietly murmured to himself.

He turned the ruby in the desperate ray of light, the sparkles lighting up his pale, green-skinned face like a red starry night, just before -

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Filch knocked the table back into the wall in surprise from the loud interruption, resulting in papers and gems flying and scattering everywhere. The goblin looked scared to death at first - then suddenly frowned grimly. How many times had he said to not be disturbed in here? Apparently those idiots still didn’t get it.

Filch snarled to himself, then turned towards the door to release and deliciously express his anger - but he didn’t get to move one step, before the curtain on the window (not having been able to take the pressure of Filch’s desk smashing into it) suddenly burst down with a loud BANG and flung a searing light into the dirty room. The light was so strong it seemed as though it was the army of Salvation that had finally come to purify the darkness. Filch squealed pitifully from the sight and covered his face; the old goblin was clearly quite ready for his end to come find him!

And just as he thought it was all over, the door flew open followed by a fat hobgoblin stumbling on the doorframe.

“BOSS?! Are you alright? I heard screamin’!” he yelled, in a rather unintelligent and heavy voice.

… The goblin – now placed flat on the floor – clinged his chest with his claw-like hand, panting heavily. No. This had not been the moment to pay for his sins and misdeeds. He was not going to die. There was only him in the room… and Grob.

It took him a moment to collect himself. But once he did, he looked very grimly at his servant. Grob, however, did not notice his master’s glare and spoke freely from his largely overweight belly:

“Do you need some lemonade? I could make you some… lemonade…”

Suddenly, the big brute realized that the goblin was staring into his soul. Despite his severe lack of intelligence, even Grob could tell he was in trouble.

“How many times,” Filch finally hissed... “Have I told you – NOT to disturb me while I’m working?”

The tension was thick following that sentence – but Grob got instantly distracted.

“Uhh one, two… uh seven, no wait, five comes first –“

Filch looked at him. Then suddenly sprung on his feet and brushed himself off.

“Never mind!” he yelled, impatiently, realizing Grob was trying to literally answer his question.

“What was so important that you couldn’t wait until after the evening shipment?”

Grob looked at him emptily for a moment. Then finally spoke:

“Uhhh, sorry boss, I forgot.”

Filch breathed in through his nostrils - slooowly…

“Then, whyyy –“ Filch started, in a voice exuding of suppressed anger.

“Oh wait, wait! I remember now. We have a small uh, uh… situation.”

Filch held his breath back a bit.

“A… situation?”

He waited for Grob to tell him what was going on. Grob stood staring at him like someone had turned a switch off. A grasshopper started singing in the background. As Filch annoyed realized that the day would never come where Grob would answer on his own unless he asked the question again, he clenched his fists to stay calm.

“Well then?”

“Oh uh yes, there’s a, uhm… the uhm, the trolls, the shipment… it hasn’t arrived.”

Filch stared at the large, tall, stupid creature in front of him. His mind sparked panic for a moment. What?

“What do you mean it hasn’t arrived?”

“Well, so, it was supposed to arrive at 6pm, and now it is 8pm, I think. Actually it might be more like 8.15pm, at least what Stubby said, I’m not so good at telling the time. Stubby usually tells the time. In fact, that was more like 20 minutes ago, that it was 8.15pm, so now it must be, uuuhhh… Fifteen plus uh, twenty, then –“

“I KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS!” screamed the goblin while throwing his hands to the sides. Grob stood trembling like the fattest mouse on the planet.

Filch cleared his throat and collected himself, once more, straightening the vest under his tiny, grey suit.

“Very well, very well,” he finally said in a formal tone, as though embarrassed from his recent outburst.

“Go uhh – go fetch Hanx and Pixi, tell them I’ll meet them at the docks.”

Filch waved his hand dismissively at Grob, without looking at him. Grob instantly arched his back and saluted the goblin, saying “Yes, boss!” as proudly as he could as though to redeem himself – obviously Filch’s anger was his fault - then he ran down the hallway in a very inelegant manner.

Filch stood left in the now very bright office. He had a moment of after-thought, all his emotions catching up with him… He considered his anger for a moment, then his moment of sincere guilt. Then he thought about the trolls and the shipment and instantly forgot any genuine emotion.

He took out his pocketwatch and looked at it, frowned a bit, then nodded. He packed away his gems into pouches, then into his heavily guarded safe, looked around himself, before leaving the room and locking the three locks on his office door.

No trolls were ever gonna cheat him on his precious gem-heists!
I love Nature's Grasp <3
Elysar
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Character: Elysar
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Hunter

Re: Salvation Day

Postby Landrian on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:58 am

a nice little story Ely and its nice to see you trying something out of your comfort zone or that your not used to doing with a new character :D
One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world will be better for this
Landrian
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Landrian
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Warrior

Postby Elysar on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks Land! Glad you liked it :)

Wasn't sure people were gonna write in here at all with the guild on hiatus and the forum having downtime.
I love Nature's Grasp <3
Elysar
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Postby Landrian on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 pm

I still check the forum and the only thing keeping from WoW is my computers broke over wise Lando would still be around hiatus or no hiatus :)
One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world will be better for this
Landrian
Councillor
Councillor

Character: Landrian
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Warrior

Postby Elysar on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:40 pm

oooh sweet! Maybe I'll catch you around then - poke me on b.net, I took Elly out during hiatus. Still got a few alts in there tho :)
I love Nature's Grasp <3
Elysar
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Postby Edradir on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:05 am

Brilliant story.

I can imaging, roleplaying a Goblin is something entirely else than a Kaldorei.
And especially not to let them look evil.

If I would rp one, I would ask myself constantly how can I get profit from this. (Rubbing hands with a dark grin)
Basically how can I rip off this person of his gold with little to no effort.

Elysar wrote:This had not been the moment to pay for his sins and misdeeds. He was not going to die.

I see the lad already has a few evil things on his record for fearing death.

I am looking forward to how this will continue. ^^
Edradir

Postby Elysar on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 pm

Haha thanks, Ed! I appreaciate the feedback, I really enjoyed writing this a lot.

And yep, that's pretty much goblins! Filch is the same. Money and status - or at least hating on those "lesser" than himself ;)

You know what, I should write a continual... <thinks>
I love Nature's Grasp <3
Elysar
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Return to ∞ The Ancient of Lore ∞