Polishing Your Roleplay!

This is the place you want to visit if you are interested in joining the Order of Natures Grasp. Please read the guild rules etc. first before applying

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Polishing Your Roleplay!

Postby Anhagath on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Hello! I've no idea if this belongs in this forum section but here goes. I've a few things I threw together for those who are interested in polishing up their roleplay a bit. Lots of people RP, and most in Nature's Grasp of course RP quite well, but maybe some of this will help some people!

1. Capitalization and punctuation!

I see a LOT of people doing this--either not capitalizing the first word in a sentence, or leaving the sentence hanging without punctuation (that is, a period, exclamation mark, question mark, etc.). If you don't punctuate your sentences, well, it's a habit you should really get into!

So instead of:

/s can she come too

...you want to write:

/s Can she come too?

This is easily done and hugely affects the quality of the roleplay that you put out.

2. Using /s in emote, or emote in /s. For example:

/e looks at Jeff. "Do you want to come, too?"
/s Yeah, that sounds great! *smiles at Kyle.*

It's a little sloppy, and a leftover from older RP times when people condensed their roleplay. It's your choice, of course, but many, myself included, think it's far better to write it in two separate lines. For example:

/e looks at Jeff.
/s Do you want to come, too?

/s Yeah, that sounds great!
/e smiles at Kyle.

3. Emoting your character's thoughts/feelings.

To summarize? Don't do it. Your emotes are to show other players what your character is doing, not thinking or feeling. We can't see that they think something is a good idea--rephrase the emote to show it! We can't see that they feel sad about something--emote how. Giving hints as to your character's facial expressions or movements is a great idea. Put it into physical movements and displays of thought/feeling. If your character has a stone face, then don't emote their feelings at all--let it be a mystery.

For example, instead of:

/e thinks this is a great idea

try

/e smiles, nodding in approval.

And instead of:

/e feels angry about this

...try emoting instead,:

/e narrows his eyes, scowling, clearly angered by this.

4. Numbers in roleplay sentences. This is a simple one, but one that helps a lot. Instead of writing a number, type out the word.

For example, instead of:

/s Yes, about 10 years ago.

...write instead:

/s Yes, about ten years ago.

It's a stylistic rule that English editors will beat you over the head with in professional writing, and makes a bit of a difference in how your RP might be perceived.

5. Lastly, this is a hint, not at all a rule. It only applies to those who want to seem very old, wise, etc., particularly on their night elven characters. If you avoid contractions, instead writing out both words, it can give an impression of sophistication and a slightly exotic tint.

For example, instead of writing can't, couldn't, won't, or don't, write cannot, could not, will not, or do not. Which sounds "elfier?"

"I don't understand..."

versus:

"I do not understand."

Hope this helps some people!
"My favorite color is fire."
Anhagath

Character: Anhagath
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Mage

Re: Polishing Your Roleplay!

Postby Soriah on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Great points, Anha, and some that I have raised to some of the newer people to RP have I have had the pleasure of helping. To add some to the list... let's see.

Places/Map Use: So you're RPing with someone, and you can't quite remember that exact place in Feralas. So you open up your map and have a look for the place name. Of course to the outsider, your character has randomly pulled a scroll out and started reading it, perhaps in the middle of a conversation. It's not a huge issue, but it can affect immersion sometimes. Tip: If you can't remember a place name, open up a browser and search for a map of Azeroth - there are websites with full and sometimes interactive maps that you can use just like the in-game one. :)

Eagle Eye/ Far Sight: Yes it can help to give you a better view sometimes. But try not to use these abilities while you're RPing - they don't help with immersion in two ways: a) because of the sound effect when cast (an eagle sound), and b) because of the shimmery effect on the area it's cast upon. Furthermore, even if you're not in RP yourself, and want to check out someone else's RP from a distance (providing you have their permission, of course), then at least be courteous with the positioning of the cast area - no one wants their RP to be randomly invaded by a shimmery effect around them.

Feel free to add anything else that may occur to anyone!
"Surely it does not matter whether or not I believe, when my real concern is... does Elune believe in me?" - Soriah Shadowfury
Soriah

Character: Soriah
Class: Hunter

Postby Anhagath on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Thank you, Soriah! I just happened to run across this, too, and imagine it might be helpful for writing in general, but RP also!

http://imgur.com/gallery/j0Njo
Anhagath

Postby Tiola on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:47 pm

This is gold! Helps me a lot.

I try to avoid emoting toughts & feelings but sometimes when I just can't come up how to say it I have used it as an backup.

Ex: Smiles, looking a little bit unsure.

What I probably would have written with more thought: Bites the bottom of her lip and smiles

I often think that I should work on that, so I'm happy you brought it up and also for the link, which I found spot on! :D
"If we look at the bird as a methaphor of freedom, we learn that the joy of flying comes with the fear of falling." - Tiola
Tiola

Character: Tiola
Class: Druid

Postby Eavya on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:52 pm

I think *Looking a little unsure* Is actually fine, Tiola! It's the *Feeling a little unsure* that's not quite right, I think! :D
Eavya Morninglight
Priestess of Nature's Grasp
Mother of Liaadri

Can also be found on:

Lynnayla Yelina Firedawn
Walker of shadows, seeker of light
Arcanist of Natures Grasp

Ryasha Morninglight
Sentinel of Nature's Grasp

Non Kaldorei alts:

Nygwene, Yngrah, Emmyxia
Eavya

Character: Eavya
Class: Priestess

Postby Reljen on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Good things, Anha & others. I admit myself guilty for sometime describing the emotions that my character feels, but that is mostly because i have yet to find the proper words to describe the feeling though expressions. I do google a lot though and are improving on that regard, slowly but surely. That link Anha found was great. Bookmarked.
Reljen

Character: Reljen

Postby Anhagath on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Tiola wrote:Ex: Smiles, looking a little bit unsure.

What I probably would have written with more thought: Bites the bottom of her lip and smiles

Like Eavya said either is fine! It's emoting "feeling unsure" that isn't quite right. Honestly if people are tempted to write "/e feels scared." it might be better to write "/e looks scared." instead, that's probably fine ^^

Glad people find it/the link useful!
Anhagath

Postby Tiola on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:49 pm

I think *Looking a little unsure* Is actually fine, Tiola!

Ah I see
"If we look at the bird as a methaphor of freedom, we learn that the joy of flying comes with the fear of falling." - Tiola
Tiola

Character: Tiola

Postby Aariam on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Always use the Oxford comma, this is of utmost importance.
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Postby Elysar on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Great tips Anha especially for newer roleplayers - know I would've loved something like this back in the day! And that link you posted is really awesome.

I tend to use "smirk" and "wink" an awful lot on my character because she's so playful/sly, I wonder if there are better synonyms for those words.
I love Nature's Grasp <3
Elysar
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Character: Elysar
Class: Hunter

Postby Arkil on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Aariam wrote:Always use the Oxford comma, this is of utmost importance.

YES!
Arkil

Character: Arkil

Postby Fyl'edam on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:06 am

I do love this guide and link! Thanks a lot for this information! Link bookmarked as well.
Fyl'edam

Character: Steamautumn

Postby Calisar on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Fantastic link and suggestions :) I'm certainly guilty of the second point quite a bit. Being a lazy arse sometimes and condensing my emote/say into one.

Nice kick and inspiration to reassess my rp and stretch it a bit, so thanks!
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Class: Priest + Druid

Postby Calisar on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:51 am

Have stickied this thread on request from some of our members. Please do feel free to add more hints and tips that you feel are useful ;)
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Class: Priest + Druid

Postby Kathene on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Awesome guide anha :) Useful for everyone... I find myself using the same few emotes for everything sometimes and I end up bugging myself ^^;

Some things I like to do, to try to put Kath's character into what she says... She's quite formal in her speech, in Darnassian she'll use some abbreviations, but never in common. She always uses full first names.

Because she's a night elf, she speaks about "nights" instead of "days", no "someday", "another day" etc.

She knows some things about other planets like Draenor, but she doesn't pay much mind to how it all works. She always calls them "worlds", never "planets"

I try to keep some nature-isms in her language when I remember to... words like bite, claws, stalking, hunting, and so on :)

One tip I got a really, really long time ago from another RP'er was to call people from other races "outlanders"... not sure I've actually done that in a long time, but apparently it's what Tyrande called them in warcraft 3 ^^: Might be a nice idea for traditional elf types!
Kathene

Character: Kathene
Class: Rogue

Return to ∞ The Recruitment Camp ∞