Can druid forms actually speak...?

A visitor in our domain? Feel free to leave your mark here.

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Can druid forms actually speak...?

Postby Trae Thérlas on Thu May 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi, just a quick question that has i have been wondering about when i should be studying :D..Can druids in animal forms speak normally...because logically it would be impossible however there might be some sort of weird magic i haven't heard about that lets them do it...And if they cant do it would they at least be able to talk to other druids in the same form normally...I ask because i plan to Rp my druid to be in a animal form most of the time because that is what he is comfortable in, and i want to know if i have to brush up on my emote skills to communicate or rethink the idea of staying in a animal form. Any help would be highly appreciated..thanks back to revising now :P
Trae Thérlas

Re: Can druid forms actually speak...?

Postby Nayan on Thu May 14, 2009 4:59 pm

My idea is that they can, yes. They assume a form, they don't -become- that form. Eg: they take bear form. they don't -become- bears.
Every woman has an itch. And every nice girl secretly wants to switch...
~
We may forget the past, sometimes. But it's part of who we are. It never goes away. Think of that whenever you make a decision. It will live with you forever.
Nayan

Character: Nayan
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Primal

Postby Tenshylwin on Thu May 14, 2009 6:26 pm

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Druids are keepers of the world who walk the path of nature, following the wisdom of the Ancients and Cenarius, healing and nurturing the world. To a druid, nature is a delicate balance of actions, in which even the smallest imbalance can create storming turmoil from peaceful skies. Druids draw their power from this wild energy, using it to change their shapes and command the forces of nature. Traditionally druids chose the path of a specific animal totem. Since the invasion of the Burning Legion, however, most druids have undergone a number of reforms, including encouraging the study of magic from all totems. Druids who do this are known as Druids of the wild.
They didn't stay in the Emerald Dream a couple of thousands years just to be not any wiser at all. (Well, technically they didn't do much than fighting/sleeping, lazy bastards!) Druids (mostly) use magic to speak in their different forms.

As for me, I played my druid that he had been trained as a druid of the wild (and follower of Malfurion, not that it has anything to do with this) and learned to eventually speak in his different animal forms under his training. If I remember correctly his old shan'do (Illyal's master, Rae something, can't remember the bastards name <.<) taught him some stuff about talking and such as well.

Small note: Not all druids but some do become like their animal aspect if they stay in that form too much. Or so I played it, that Tensh became more of the cat (purring, grooming, fish, fish, fish, fish, rabbits)/bear (growling, lazy)/himself (himself... erh, yeah.) the more he was in them.

I think that sums it up to an answer?
I hope you got little wiser from this. *winks*
Tenshylwin, Guardian of Cenarius - 100 Night elf Druid
Druid of the Wild
Tenshylwin

Character: Kitten
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Druid

Postby Trae Thérlas on Thu May 14, 2009 7:26 pm

thanks yeah your reply helped alot with other questions I had about Druid lore aswell :) seems that feral hardly comes out of a form Trae is here to stay p.s Druids of the wild are only 5 years old aren't they ? So it would make sense that a
Druid of the talon for example trained after the legions invasion to become a Druid of the wild. If so I may adapt traes past a little bit. Oh and while I am here is the cat form a new thing with the druids of the wild or is there a actual title for kittys like Druid of the hairball? :P
Trae Thérlas

Postby Tenshylwin on Thu May 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Trae wrote:Druids of the wild are only 5 years old aren't they ?

Only five years? Where did you get that from? I suggest some deeper reading into the druids aspects and the lore, I think you can find most of what you need to know around in the forums here.
And to make it easy for you so will I quote some from WoW Wiki:

Traditionally, druids chose the path of a specific animal totem, becoming either druids of the claw or druids of the talon. Indeed, legends suggest that there were even more orders of druid than these two. After the Legion's invasion, the druids began to use the powers of all forms, combining their strengths against their enemies and becoming the druids of the wild.

You can read more about the legion here

Druid of the Claw

A druid of the claw is class of druid. They were invaluable during the Third War. Their totem is the bear, and they use the bear's strength and resilience to ravage their enemies in close combat. Perhaps more than any other druid, Druids of the claw focus on combat prowess, preferring raw strength and staying power to stealth and subtlety.

Druids of the claw take on the form of bears and wander the wilderness on a never-ending pilgrimage dedicated to the ursine Eternals. Though the destruction of the ancient Kaldorei homeland destroyed much of the land traveled by the twins, those who worship them have never given up their search for any of Ursoc’s "alewells" and Ursol’s carvings that may have survived to the present day.

Druid of the Talon
Druids of the talon are a class of druid. While they did not have as big an impact on the Third War as the druids of the claw, the druids of the talon were a valuable addition to the forces of the night elves and, later, the Alliance. They take as their totem the storm crow, and by extension, ravens, hawks, and other birds of prey. They are not frontline soldiers, as the druids of the claw are; their roles are in a support capacity. Their shapechanging abilities allow them to perform valuable espionage, and their abilities impose a variety of disadvantages on their enemies.

Their organization is known as Druids of the Talon, and are among Aviana's most ardent followers. They transform into birds to gather battlefield intelligence and carry messages

Trae wrote: Oh and while I am here is the cat form a new thing with the druids of the wild or is there a actual title for kittys like Druid of the hairball? :P

No. There's no real "title" for kitties. But bear also has the title "Druid of the Claw", not many that uses it though. There's also a title for Snake (Druid of the fang), but those are only seen in Walling Caverns. (or how it was spelled now, I be tired >.<)
Last edited by Tenshylwin on Mon May 18, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Druid of the Wild
Tenshylwin

Postby Säila on Fri May 15, 2009 6:31 am

Before the patch 1.something (I think 1.10 or 1.11 or 1.12) druids were not able to talk to the NPCs while in the forms so I would assume no. Of course anyone is free to decide themselves wether they are able to talk or not.
Do not meddle in the affairs of fangirls, for you are hot and would go well with other men.
Säila

Postby Nayan on Fri May 15, 2009 7:00 am

Säila wrote:Before the patch 1.something (I think 1.10 or 1.11 or 1.12) druids were not able to talk to the NPCs while in the forms so I would assume no. Of course anyone is free to decide themselves wether they are able to talk or not.

I'd assume that was an indication for the opposite, seeing as they changed it :P

Especially if you consider talking dragons, talking trees, talking elementals... I think it'd be far too nitpicking ;)
~
We may forget the past, sometimes. But it's part of who we are. It never goes away. Think of that whenever you make a decision. It will live with you forever.
Nayan

Postby Trae Thérlas on Fri May 15, 2009 7:38 am

I assumed 5 years as the legion has only invaded twice and it was after the
First one the sundering that druids first started being trained and as Druid of the wild are newer than that I assumed they first came around after the second invasion which ended at
The battle of mount hyjal only 5 or 6 years ago. I have read wowwikis post on Druids of the wild and it only says that they started training after the legions invasion doesn't say which one :s and as for the main topic question I think the first post simply answers that :)
Trae Thérlas

Postby Nayan on Fri May 15, 2009 7:53 am

Trae Thérlas wrote:I assumed 5 years as the legion has only invaded twice and it was after the
First one the sundering that druids first started being trained and as Druid of the wild are newer than that I assumed they first came around after the second invasion which ended at
The battle of mount hyjal only 5 or 6 years ago. I have read wowwikis post on Druids of the wild and it only says that they started training after the legions invasion doesn't say which one

Keep in mind, the War of the Ancients and Azshara's betrayal ;)

The Burning Legion did not show up recently, it's been there for a long time (War of the Ancients was some ten thousand years ago) ^^
~
Nayan

Postby Trae Thérlas on Fri May 15, 2009 8:08 am

Yeah I did say the sundering which was the product of the war
Of the ancients but before then Druids only existed as malfurion it was
After that they started training Druids in certain totems for example druid of the claw
Talon, fang etc The Druids of the wild to my knowlegde only started training after the second invasion as it states that they are newer then the other Druids.
Trae Thérlas

Postby Tenshylwin on Fri May 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Trae Thérlas wrote:Of the ancients but before then Druids only existed as malfurion it was

Actually, there was two. Malfurion and his brother Illidan. However, Illidan never really showed any progress as a druid (Cenarius never really saw him as one either and Malfurion had better contact with the nature) and Illidan was all jealous and grew more powerfull hungry, thus he turned to Azshara and the Legion.
Druid of the Wild
Tenshylwin

Postby Alagien on Fri May 15, 2009 7:17 pm

It is indeed true what he says. During the first invasion, druids were actually created when Cenarius taught to the Stormrage Brothers, so it would seems Druids of the Wild to be a more recent development.

The situation is not entirely clear, even considering Warcraft 3 had just Talons and Claws it does not mean those were the only druids around. The druid of the wild thingie could A) be there from the start or B) be developed during the Dream period or C) be a development after the defeat of the Legion and the destruction of Nordrassil.

Which one is right? I do not know.

As for druids speaking in forms, it is mostly up to you. Personally, I speak only druidic when in any of the animal forms, seems at least clear that Druidic would be created in such a way that druids could speak it in all their forms.
Alagien

Character: Alagien
Class: Warrior

Postby Alagien on Fri May 15, 2009 7:25 pm

Reliah wrote:
Säila wrote:Before the patch 1.something (I think 1.10 or 1.11 or 1.12) druids were not able to talk to the NPCs while in the forms so I would assume no. Of course anyone is free to decide themselves wether they are able to talk or not.

I'd assume that was an indication for the opposite, seeing as they changed it :P

Especially if you consider talking dragons, talking trees, talking elementals... I think it'd be far too nitpicking ;)

Blizzard keep gameplay first and lore a distant second, so them changing something in a patch to make things easy for druids does not necessarily means anything ;)

The fact druids are actually able to speak in /s when in forms may be more signficant or just another ease to play issue (immagine how annoying it would be for non-rpers).

All the creatures you mention are in their original form, so them talking does not say much about the druids, unless you can find a talking bear or a talking cat. Boomkin and Treant form, however, would permit them to speak no problems, i think! ;)
Alagien

Character: Alagien
Class: Warrior

Postby Calisar on Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 am

Really interesting thread, just got one further question. I always considered Moonkins to be classed as 'druids of the talon' is that correct? ;)
"It's silly wrong.. but vivid right"
Calisar

Character: Calisar
Class: Priest + Druid

Postby Ixirar on Mon May 18, 2009 10:10 am

Calisar wrote:Really interesting thread, just got one further question. I always considered Moonkins to be classed as 'druids of the talon' is that correct? ;)

Yes.
Ixirar

Next

Return to ∞ The Guardhouse ∞