Can you have different aspects of the same Character

A visitor in our domain? Feel free to leave your mark here.

Moderators: Former Council, Seniors, The Council

Can you have different aspects of the same Character

Postby Lalaith on Fri May 18, 2012 9:33 am

I was pleased to join NG yesterday - and am still tip toing through the Lore minefield :~)

I was wondering if it were permitted or a possible idea to have two characters in the guild but being the same char but doing different things.

Let me explain

Lalaith is a hunter mainly - but the toon I had available to join is a warrior. Both classes are eligible for the Sentinels. In lore I think may warriors would hunt and hunters could at need fight beastless so to speak.

If Lalaith (the warrior) wanted to use her beast lore to hunt or stealth it could only be RPd really.
However if there was another toon (or aspect) of Lal classed as a hunter with almost the same name, look and personality (see Lalaiths application)
then she could swap to either class to meet the Sentinels mission. They would need to be about the same level to represent the same stage of experience.

If I have a hunter Lalliath on Defias - who for all purposes was supposed to be Lalaith the Kaldorei - could this aspect be in NG as the same Kaldorei?

What do people think?
Lalaith

Character: Laliath
Realm: Defias Brotherhood
Class: Hunter

Re: Can you have different aspects of the same Character

Postby Aariam on Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 am

I think it works well. The class definitions that WoW use are not really things that kaldorei say too often. A sentinel is a sentinel, they're expected to be able to both fight in melée, ranged and stealth.

So, go for it. :)
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Postby Evesia on Fri May 18, 2012 10:29 am

Yes it is fine to do as long as it makes sense in lore, for example a Sentinel who in terms of WoW classes is a Warrior/Hunter/Rogue - that's fine, but for example it wouldn't work with an Arcanist who wanted to be a Druid for they could not completely use and acquire the power of nature and the earth if they still used arcane.

It is a really nice idea to do if it fits though, I do it myself with one of my other characters.

Nelthana is a Priestess of the Moon meaning they use the power of the Goddess Elune for divine magic and healing but they are also good Sentinels and often archers. For this reason I have the character Nelthana as a Priestess and also Nelthaná as a Hunter.

I say go for it and I hope you have fun with it! :)
[A] Evesia Moonflame ~ Archon of the Wardens of Enlightenment ~ Mage
[A] Nelthana Nightsheen ~ Priestess of the Moon, Former High Guardian ~ Priestess

Evesia

Character: Evesia
Class: Mage

Postby Lalaith on Fri May 18, 2012 10:34 am

Thank you - I will :)
I hope it works.

Lal (Hunter/warrior)
Lalaith

Character: Laliath

Postby Shaktaekurte on Fri May 18, 2012 12:12 pm

This has been done before (was Rogue/Warrior), shouldn't be a problem.
Shakalicious
Shaktaekurte

Character: Shaktaekurte
Class: Boomking

Postby Pargarion on Fri May 18, 2012 3:52 pm

I think the strangest combo we have had was the druid/druid.
Khalida Frostfeather - Sentinel
Pargarion Autumnrain - Druid
Pargarion

Character: Frostfeather

Postby Shaktaekurte on Sun May 20, 2012 2:04 pm

That's it, I'm getting a racechange.
Shakalicious
Shaktaekurte

Postby Kaldur on Sun May 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Druid / druid? Who would do such a .... oh yeah, ofc ^^
Kaldur Winterwind
The Old Bear. Former Keeper of the Order of Natures Grasp.

Amaeya Moonsorrow
Priestess, Peacemaker, and a Shining Beacon of Silver Light

Kreska Stormraven
Killer of Highborne, Historys' Assassin, a Dark Legend - missing presumed dead
Kaldur
Former Councillor
Former Councillor

Character: Kaldur
Class: Druid

Postby Pargarion on Sun May 20, 2012 9:14 pm

You can race change or quit or even kill of the Shaks but you cannot erase second Shak from our memory! :D
Pargarion

Postby Shaktaekurte on Mon May 21, 2012 8:53 am

What second Shak? You got no proof mister! No proof at all.
Shakalicious
Shaktaekurte

Postby Pargarion on Mon May 21, 2012 9:33 pm

There are only two that denies he have existed. You and the other you.
Pargarion

Postby Nayan on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:13 am

I've done that before, as well, with my troll (warrior+druid for my Primal, to combine the warrior traits with the beastly nature). Considering classes have limitations that don't apply in the real world (which is ironic, considering it's a fantasy world that offers less limitations ^^), such as "druids can't dual-wield" or "mages can't wear leather", it sounds like a very logical thing to do. Having different aspects, like I had, is also a very valid reason. Of course, as Evesia said, it depends, within measure. I will disagree on the example brought, though, about druids + arcane being "ineligible"; moonkins dabble in both Nature and Arcane. ;)
Every woman has an itch. And every nice girl secretly wants to switch...
~
We may forget the past, sometimes. But it's part of who we are. It never goes away. Think of that whenever you make a decision. It will live with you forever.
Nayan

Character: Nayan
Class: Primal

Postby Aariam on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:06 am

Nayan wrote:I've done that before, as well, with my troll (warrior+druid for my Primal, to combine the warrior traits with the beastly nature). Considering classes have limitations that don't apply in the real world (which is ironic, considering it's a fantasy world that offers less limitations ^^), such as "druids can't dual-wield" or "mages can't wear leather", it sounds like a very logical thing to do. Having different aspects, like I had, is also a very valid reason. Of course, as Evesia said, it depends, within measure. I will disagree on the example brought, though, about druids + arcane being "ineligible"; moonkins dabble in both Nature and Arcane. ;)

Happy birthday!!!
Aariam Nightborne, former Keeper of Nature's Grasp.

Site/web administrator - any questions about either can be sent to me in a PM.
Aariam
Site Admin

Character: Aariam
Realm: Argent Dawn
Class: Rogue

Postby Evesia on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:50 am

Nayan wrote:I will disagree on the example brought, though, about druids + arcane being "ineligible"; moonkins dabble in both Nature and Arcane. ;)

I guess I see your point! Though is that the same kind of Arcane in which Highborne use? If so why aren't these types of Druids looked down on for using Arcane? I was thinking more along the lines of a Druid could not be fully committed to Nature if he/she is committed to Arcane and vice versa since I didn't think the Arcane used by Moonkins was the same as Highborne... Would love to hear your thoughts or anyone elses thoughts who could clarify this to me as I'm confused now hah :)
[A] Evesia Moonflame ~ Archon of the Wardens of Enlightenment ~ Mage
[A] Nelthana Nightsheen ~ Priestess of the Moon, Former High Guardian ~ Priestess

Evesia

Character: Evesia
Class: Mage

Postby Nayan on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:14 pm

(Thanks, Aariam ^^)

That's a very good question indeed. Perhaps the answer is more complicated than our current "class distribution" system.

Bear with my train of thought here: I've pondered the latter a lot over the years, and I've always felt it'd be far more appropriate to keep most classes "open to all" and some exceptional classes race-specific, perhaps one per race. Maybe also have one "prohibited" per race too (but that'd have more complications in faction/race balancing). But regardless of the latter, having one "race class" and the rest open would feel more realistic than "so yeah, out of an entire race of belves, no one can be a warrior :D:D" that we had until relatively recently. You could have, for example, Witch-Doctors for Trolls, Sentinels for Kaldorei, Arcanists for Humans, Mountaineers for Dwarves, Necromancers for Forsaken etc. Each of those would be based on an existing class, just "tweaked". Mountaineers would be based on gun-wielding hunters, Witch-Doctors based on Shamans, Necromancers based on Warlocks or DK's, Sentinels based on Warriors, Arcanists based on Mages, and so on.

How is that relevant? Simple. Having a more "race-specific" approach to each class, would allow for each race's traits to fit in. "Kaldorei druids don't use Arcane, all the rest do." In mechanics, that'd be much trickier to implement, but I think that since Undead Priests heal with Holy spec and a half-arsed justification about how "it's not really Holy holy, it's just somewhat holyshadowmumbojumbo" by Blizzard, that strategy could be implemented in other cases too, such as Kaldorei Boomkins. And I've no idea if I'm making sense and managing to communicate the sphere of thoughts I've got twisting in my head about it, right now, but trying! xD

What do you think?

(on the note of Highborne arcane or Boomkin arcane, I can at least assure you it's the exact same school of magic as Arcane Mages use - as far as game mechanics are concerned, at least)
Every woman has an itch. And every nice girl secretly wants to switch...
~
We may forget the past, sometimes. But it's part of who we are. It never goes away. Think of that whenever you make a decision. It will live with you forever.
Nayan

Character: Nayan
Class: Primal

Next

Return to ∞ The Guardhouse ∞